IDF M50.

Did all M50s, that were fitted with Cummins engines, have HVSS units? Was there ever an example of Cummins and VVSS? I'm just getting some info together for (yet another) IDF Sherman, and I don't want to go with the wrong combination.

TIA.

John.

Apparently 50 VVSS Sherman’s were initially converted to M50s but kept the old continental engine, with the added extra weight the engines struggled and frequently broke down, that and the poor off-road performance of the narrow tracks was what led to the HVSS and Cummins versions. So I would say no.

• Like 1

I believe the only VVSS Cummins option is the Morag - M4A4 Crab flail.  These could not be HVSS converted because of the flail gear but did get the Cummins engine.  The target tanks and ambutanks had the radial engine. 

• Like 1

Thanks Peter. That's the answer that I was looking for. When I've finished my current build, I'll be looking at making a start on an M4A1 based M50.

Thanks also to @Old pro for your contribution.

John.

• Like 1

I believe there were probably more than 50 VVSS M50s.  That's only about a single regiment with some for training.  Types noted are M4 Composite, M4A1 and M4A4.  Small-hatch VVSS M4A1-based M50s were the norm.  There weren't that many large-hatch 75mm M4A1s anyway and most went for DD conversion.  However, there was at least 1 large-hatch M4A1 VVSS M50 in the 1957 Independence Day parade.  Pictured in the Gannon books.

Several large-hatch M4A1-based HVSS M50s were later sold to Chile.  It is unclear whether these originated as 75mm tanks, were 76mm hulls that ended up as M50s rather than M51s or were the 5 "new build" M50s using turrets supplied by Chile from their old M4A1s on former M51 hulls.  Somehow Israel ended up 5 M50s short of the Chilean order quantity. 

• Thanks 1