Removing Tamiya spray splutters from car body

Einar

Hi,

I'd like ask for help and hints on behalf of a modeller friend . He used Tamiya rattle can aluminium to paint the body of James Bond's Aston Martin. Just before finishing the can gave a splutter of paint ruining a part of the smooth surface. How should he go about removing the stains? 

Cheers, 

Einar

Removing the ‘stain’, which is just lumps of paint or probably the powdered mica which is the sparkly part is easily done with isopropyl alcohol. But retouching metallic paint is something I’ve always considered impossible. I suggest cleaning it all off with the alcohol and starting over. 😏

Shake the can very well. Keep it in your pocket for a day when you will be moving around a lot. Warmth and movement disperses the mica. Keep an eye on the nozzle as you spray and wipe off any drying paint with a cotton bud and alcohol. 

I hope someone has a less depressing answer for you. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Very gently wet sand it off or use a sponge backed “nail buffer” to get back to a smooth surface, then do what real car painters do and mask off all except the panel where the marks are and repaint. If there isn’t a real panel, mask along shut lines or window frames at much as possible. If he has polishing compound he can use that to “feather” in any hard edge along the masking if it’s unavoidable.

Or model the car as it looks near the end of “Skyfall”… 😜

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Removing the ‘stain’, which is just lumps of paint or probably the powdered mica which is the sparkly part is easily done with isopropyl alcohol. But retouching metallic paint is something I’ve always considered impossible. I suggest cleaning it all off with the alcohol and starting over. 😏

Shake the can very well. Keep it in your pocket for a day when you will be moving around a lot. Warmth and movement disperses the mica. Keep an eye on the nozzle as you spray and wipe off any drying paint with a cotton bud and alcohol. 

I hope someone has a less depressing answer for you. 🙂

Thank you very much for your advice🙏

Cheers,

Einar

27 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Very gently wet sand it off or use a sponge backed “nail buffer” to get back to a smooth surface, then do what real car painters do and mask off all except the panel where the marks are and repaint. If there isn’t a real panel, mask along shut lines or window frames at much as possible. If he has polishing compound he can use that to “feather” in any hard edge along the masking if it’s unavoidable.

Or model the car as it looks near the end of “Skyfall”… 😜

best,

M.

Thanks for your advice🙏

Einar