AZ bf 109 V 14 D-ISLU

Icedtea

G'day, I should probably post this in the pre war forum

However I have just received AZs new Bf 109 red racer  V-14. Looks a nice kit with a lot of extras. My question is I had thought the radiator under the nose was somewhat deeper than the standard e series arrangement of the kit. Searching through Google and my own library of Luft types has revealed nowt but some fuzzy images or the area in question is not properly visible. Anyone set me straight  Thanks John H.

2 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

The best fuzzy pics I remember:

Thanks fot that, I found those 2 images online, I note though that even the book cover shows a somewhat deeper intake under the nose. I shall investigate the book. cheers.

Hi! I am building that myself right now, The radiator is very deep, even larger than a normal G radiator. I have just filed it off and kept the base, over which I have glued in a late 109 radiator. Unfortunately, this is just one of the many modifications required to make it a proper V14 : Spinner, air intakes and louvres, landing gear caps and bays to name just a few.., 

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=161676

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bad edd said:

Hi! I am building that myself right now, The radiator is very deep, even larger than a normal G radiator. I have just filed it off and kept the base, over which I have glued in a late 109 radiator. Unfortunately, this is just one of the many modifications required to make it a proper V14 : Spinner, air intakes and louvres, landing gear caps and bays to name just a few.., 

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=161676

Thanks so much for that. That is the size and shape I had thought it was. Theres enough to give me an idea of what needs to be done.  I'm pondering is there something just behind the intake or was it part of the undercarriage beyond.  I have wondered if they tried several different radiators at various times. other things will be attended to as I go. those cannon lumps under the wings for one!

I think the radiator was tapered a bit (it got narrower in the back), and inside there seems to be a lip like on the early E, but it's not placed in the middle but rather low (same as for the V13 oil radiator here).

And please mind that the coolant radiators had the t-shaped lips inside.

I have enhanced the V13 picture a bit so the lip inside the radiator is visible, and so are the the ones in the large radiators. Also please notice that all the cooling louvres are of different shape and position than on a normal E.

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=161677

On 1/12/2024 at 5:11 PM, bad edd said:

I think the radiator was tapered a bit (it got narrower in the back), and inside there seems to be a lip like on the early E, but it's not placed in the middle but rather low (same as for the V13 oil radiator here).

And please mind that the coolant radiators had the t-shaped lips inside.

I have enhanced the V13 picture a bit so the lip inside the radiator is visible, and so are the the ones in the large radiators. Also please notice that all the cooling louvres are of different shape and position than on a normal E.

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=161677

Yes thats much clearer. I may follow your example or plug mould a new piece with internals to suit. plus the other mods, spinner, cannon bulges, etc   cheers John H.

I had an interesting email exchange with a European aftermarket manufacturer (I'll withhold the name, but if any mods want, I would be happy to forward it to them for validation), where I inquired if they would be producing any upgrade sets for this kit.

The response I received was, no, as it would essentially be a waste of time as AZ's models are considered mediocre. 

I know that AZ gets "inspiration" as it were for a number of their kits from other manufacturers (Fine Molds, Tamiya for example), but they have given us some unique kits, such as the one in this thread, that no one else has.  It would be nice it one of the many aftermarket companies would jump on the opportunity to give us some better detailed correction sets for these kits.  Hopefully, someone will.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

I had an interesting email exchange with a European aftermarket manufacturer (I'll withhold the name, but if any mods want, I would be happy to forward it to them for validation), where I inquired if they would be producing any upgrade sets for this kit.

The response I received was, no, as it would essentially be a waste of time as AZ's models are considered mediocre. 

I know that AZ gets "inspiration" as it were for a number of their kits from other manufacturers (Fine Molds, Tamiya for example), but they have given us some unique kits, such as the one in this thread, that no one else has.  It would be nice it one of the many aftermarket companies would jump on the opportunity to give us some better detailed correction sets for these kits.  Hopefully, someone will.

Isnt AZ Models part of a 'consortium' of manufacturers, I have quite a few AZ and KP kits, yes AZ arent known for attention to accuracy and KP I find to be rather fussy and over engineered in the "why use one part when you can make it from three miniscule parts."  nice but frustrating.   I would have thought the aftermarket providers would be overjoyed at anything AZ put out 😉. All said and done the big mainstream boys..Tamiya et al arent likely to cater to this end of the hobby so there we go. I shall be sifting through the spares box shortly for something suitable.

I believe that AZ and KP are one in the same now, not sure about any other related companies. 

I definitely agree with you that we are not likely to see Tamiya or Fine Molds "fill the void" (Fine Molds couldn't even give us a tall tail 109G-6/14, and they certainly were capable of doing so). 

With 3D printing taking off as of late, I really wish I knew more about it or at least had a connection to someone who did.  Hopefully some manufacturer will pick up the slack and give us some upgraded parts to correct this kit.

RESIM used to offer photoetch and resin cockpit sets for AZ's 109G kits (BTW, those cockpits where a good fit for the Fine Mold 109G kits, I wonder why...  🤭 ), so maybe they will fill the void again for us.

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo