Hurricane pilot’s seat belt arrangements

galgos

I’ve never been 100% clear about what goes where and from where about the main, ie shoulder, seat beats in Hurricanes. I’m in the throes of making a PCM Hurricane with the pilot about to step into the cockpit, something like this:

L2A4be.jpg

but I want to be certain about straps going over the back of the seat, any going through the hole in the centre of the back (?) etc. I have some reference pictures but none clear enough for my liking. At this point of entry I assume ground crew would have put the main straps wide apart and hanging over either side of the cockpit? 

Any help appreciated. 

• Like 1

Here's Dave Hadfield the astronauts brother, boarding a Hurricane. It shows exactly how the straps are arranged. Note how shoulder straps are hung over the side before  boarding.

Hope that helps.

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

I don’t have a picture handy, but the ‘Y’ portion of the Sutton harness feeds up from the slot in the seat back with the arms attaching to the long straps feeding out from the slot in the head armor 

Thanks Chuck, think I’ve got that now. 

29 minutes ago, noelh said:

Here's Dave Hadfield the astronauts brother, boarding a Hurricane. It shows exactly how the straps are arranged. Note how shoulder straps are hung over the side before  boarding.

Hope that helps.

Cheers for the post Noel, my only problem with the video is that the pilot is wearing a modern parachute which precludes the WW2 harness with straps coming out of the centre seat back. Useful nonetheless for the straps going over the fuselage sides! 😄