do people listen now ?

brewerjerry

Working in a busy supermarket I get all kinds of characters every day, some are truly lovely and I do whatever I can to help solve their query, even feeling genuinely sorry if I can't, there are some who do ask where this is or whatever............ some walk off even before I've even finished the sentence of where to go so they've no chance of even getting close to the right area............... some seem to listen and promptly go in the entirely wrong direction and I have to chase after them................... some are literally right next to what they want but we often have a laugh about "can't see for looking" kind of thing.................. some ask for where the produce is and yet you have to walk through the department to get into the rest of the shop ..............., some who are foreign get their phone out and show a picture or a translation of what they want ............................... some we just muddle through and get there in the end, mostly down to pronunciation to be honest......... some have been downright rude about accent, to the point of accusing me of not being English and yet they aren't themselves and yet some get really annoyed when I can't understand a word they are on about as every single word they say I don't understand..

So yes it can be interesting and fun working in a supermarket, not often mind though lol

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Working in a busy supermarket I get all kinds of characters every day, some are truly lovely and I do whatever I can to help solve their query, even feeling genuinely sorry if I can't, there are some who do ask where this is or whatever............ some walk off even before I've even finished the sentence of where to go so they've no chance of even getting close to the right area............... some seem to listen and promptly go in the entirely wrong direction and I have to chase after them................... some are literally right next to what they want but we often have a laugh about "can't see for looking" kind of thing.................. some ask for where the produce is and yet you have to walk through the department to get into the rest of the shop ..............., some who are foreign get their phone out and show a picture or a translation of what they want ............................... some we just muddle through and get there in the end, mostly down to pronunciation to be honest......... some have been downright rude about accent, to the point of accusing me of not being English and yet they aren't themselves and yet some get really annoyed when I can't understand a word they are on about as every single word they say I don't understand..

So yes it can be interesting and fun working in a supermarket, not often mind though lol

I used to work in the Luton enquiries office for an indirect tax branch of a well-known government department.  One of my colleagues was an Asian lady who hailed from Birmingham.  On one occasion she had spent around 30 minutes trying to explain a particularly entertaining piece of VAT legislation to an uncomprehending trader or accountant; from across the office we could hear her getting progressively more animated and the two linguistic elements of her heritage merging, becoming stronger and more pronounced with every passing moment.  Eventually she decided that she couldn’t get the caller to accept her version of the law and handed the call over to the shift senior officer who took it on with a cheery “Good morning, can’a help ye’ “ in his strong Scottish accent.  From across the office I could clearly hear the caller bawl “I want to talk to someone who speaks ENGLISH!!”

• Haha 3

On 11/24/2023 at 9:41 PM, stever219 said:

From across the office I could clearly hear the caller bawl “I want to talk to someone who speaks ENGLISH!!”

Translation in the context of the discussion:

"you're not telling me what I want to hear!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2