Question on F-4M/Phantom FGR.2 rear cockpit variations

Shorty84

Hello guys,

again I'm in the need of the collective knowledge of the BM-Hive.

Recently I purchased the Revell-rebox of the Hasegawa Phantom FGR.2 in 1/48 and as many of you for sure know the cockpit has some room for improvement. I've ruled out using the Aires cockpit as many builds here and on the net show that it is a bear to fit.
So the remaining options were either the Eduard etch or to tweak some QUINTA 3D decals (like @Anthony in NZ did in his epic 1/32 build).

Having used QUINTA decals in the past and knowing the level of detail they provide this is my preferred option. Since all UK Phantoms are based on the F-4J I figured this would be the best starting point and while doing research on the cockpit layout in order to compare it with what QUINTA provides, I noticed that the rear cockpit of the FGR.2 showed some variations (no wonder considering the aircraft was in service for some time) but could not figure out what was the reason for it.

And as I want to build a very early machine (XV403 of No. 6 Squadron in 1969) I'm not sure if the cockpit of museum examples are representative for early service machines.

Radar scope:
Here I found there are two types.

XV490, the closest equivalent can be found in the F-4C/D set (part 18)
XV424, which best corresponds to the F-4J decals (part 3)

Overhead switch panels (next to the telescopic sight):
I noticed that museum machines have a single panel installed but the frames on the left and right are empty. Was it this way in-service or was this equipment removed? If the latter, what did it look like in-service, especially at the very beginning in 1969?

XV490
XV424

I've also found another panel installed and based on the switch functions am I correct in assuming it was installed on machines wired for the EMI recce pod?
https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/142969/xv490-uk-air-force-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4-phantom-fgr-2-f-4m/

So if anybody can help me which type of radar scope was installed and how the overhead switch panels looked like in 1969 it would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers
Markus

If building an FGR2 from 1969 then it wouldn't have the periscopic sight in the rear cockpit, just plain plexiglass like the starboard side.. Also, just as an added point of interest if you decide to build one with an" XT ' serial No. they had provision for a removable control column in the rear cockpit. HTH :cheers:.

• Thanks 1

Those boxes in the canopy arch are the control and programming units for AN/ALE 40 chaff and flare dispensers. They were only starting to be fitted around the mid 80's.

I don't have experience of the recce equipped Phantoms, but I think you are correct about the control box for the EMI recce pod. As these were only used by 2 and 41 sqn's I think you can ignore that.

That would make a 1969 6 sqn aircraft most likely to have nothing in that centre arch area.

Starfighter is correct about the TESS periscope for your time period.

Sorry I can't help on the radar scope for sure. I think it was the type in XV424, but the memory is foggy on that.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

many thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

@Starfighter, thanks for these interesting info. While my build will be a machine of the XV-serial range, do you have a photo what this control column provision looked like?

@Phone Phixer, great, now I know the purpose of these control boxes. I guess it is reasonable to assume the TESS was installed when these boxes were added?

So if anybody has an idea why there are two different radar scopes or which of them would be representative for a FGR.2 in 1969 I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus, I don'y have any photos of the rear cockpit control column  fitting, but it would probably very similar to USAF od US Navy variants, so there should be photos on the net somewhere . . . HTH:cheers:.