Filler for small gaps between resin/3d printed and plastic

Wouter1981

I'm currently working on a Tamiya 934 Porsche and for the first time ever, I'm using 3D printed parts. In normal cases I'm using styreen and melt them with Tamiya extra thin to eliminate gaps between plastic parts. But with the 3D parts, I'm having more trouble to get seamless transitions between the resin and the plastic with that methode. So what are your ways to make seamless transitions from 3Dprinted/resin to plastic?

What about standard filler? Milliput or some other two part epoxy filler? I've recently started using sprue-goo for minor filling, but also use stuff like Humbrol filler for much larger seams.

What kind of 3D print? Resin or filament? Or?

The disolved plastic (Polystyrene) works nicely with injection moulded kits as the gloop welds into the kits plastic. It will not weld into a resin print I would say. And regarding the filament it wil depent on the used filament material and the used solvent.

For resin printed parts you can use liquid resin to fill gaps and to use a UV light for curing. As long as the gap you intend to fill is small/narrow enough. This should give the best possible blend.

You can also use super glue or the usual putties on the market as treker_ed says for SLA and FDM prints (at least what I tested so far). Magic putty works nicely with Elegoo water soluble resin for example.

• 1 month later...