Jasta 30 Albatros D.V Colors? (Pheon decals)

RC Boater Bill

I am looking for some colorful schemes to use on my next 1/72 Albatros D.V build.   I found three on the Pheon 1/32 Jasta 30 sheet that appeal to me.   Unfortunately, the Pheon website is no longer available, so I can’t see the full description of the sheet- the best I can do is to look at one of the reviews online.  

I’m hoping someone here may have this sheet stashed away for their WnW kits…..

See the attached image— My question is: What colors are the wings?   Is there an Orange Diamond on the top wing as well?  I ask because I did a 1/72 Pfalz D.IIIa in Hans-Georg von der Marwitz’s colors, and that one has an orange diamond on the wing. I like all three schemes, could see myself doing at least two of them!  (Not sure I can make a mask for the tail numbers on #11.)

Based on the artwork, I  think all three of the options below have lozenge top and bottom on both wings.  Masking and painting the orange won’t be too hard, though it can get tricky to mask over decals…

spacer.png

Edited by RC Boater Bill
added new typos
  • Like 1

The Jasta 30 schemes originated with the Bruno Schmaling/Winifred Bock book Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30 (Aeronaut Books 2014).  There is no indication of orange diamonds above the wings on the Albatrosses, unlike the Pfalz D.III's.  The Pheon decal sheet does not indicate them either.  So probably not.  As far as wing covering, the illustrations seem to suggest lozenge, and if you assume the Jasta's other (orange diamond period) D.V's came from the same batch as 4420, this squib from the late Dan-San Abbott is on point (copied from 'The Aerodrome"):

Albatros first used the 5 color fabric on the production batch of the Alb. D.V starting about D.2225/17 to 2361/17. the next order D.4403/17 to 4702/17 they also used printed fabric. The Alb. D.Va batch D.5165 -5499/17 were mixed with, I do not know the finish for D.5165 to 5249/17, printed fabric from 5250 -5324/17. Painted camo from D.5325 to5374/17. Printed 5color from D.5375 - 5449/17, D.5450 -5499/17 not known. D.Va 5600-5849/17 use painted camoufklage. OAW built Alb. D.Va machines D.6500 on were covered with 5 color fabric. Some machines in the range D.7075 - 7199/17 and D.7300 - 7349/17used painted camo. As far as i know the balance to 7549/17 used printed 5 color fabric. Albatros Werke used salmon pink rib tapes and OAW used blue. Salmon and blue were not as far as I know used by any other manufacturers contrary to what has been said. For example LVG used natural color linen tape on the C.V when it was covered with printed or cur strips of the lozenge fabric. Fokker always used cut strips of fabric.
Blue skies,
Dan-San Abbott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1