Lightning No.5 (1:72 T.5 XS416)

Not much to say yet as I only started today, seats are almost done...

I cut some cloth to size to replicate "sheepskin" seat covers

5bd6049464eaa6790a173bb6ec12e6e9.jpg

I'd say they look quite good!

aae7c93d7898811a9f26ba6a253b2af0.jpg

The sword kit does come with PE but I didn't feel comfortable using the seatbelts due to the rigidity, I sacrificed details for a more natural look, I still think they look perfectly acceptable.

Work on the cockpit has also started but nothing to write home about (just yet).

Exhaust has got some paint on it but not ready just yet

Intake is done, although on the sword kit that's a rather easy thing to do.

• Like 10

Not much progress today unfortunately, but here's where I'm up to currently:

ba6ad878b31520e835673d5abbf8878a.jpg

Main thing holding me back right now is lack of superglue for PE parts in the cockpit.

Wing fit is pretty bad, going to need puttying

a1a86ad49ce9ddc041d281a71b9bf6b2.jpg

05a80f2533d4169f1dbf43a027fd3d81.jpg

I am aware of this kit's reputation, might be a slightly longer-term project.

I'm still motivated right now though, just need to buy some superglue...

• Like 3

If anyone following this build has photos of/links to  lightning T.5 cockpits I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share it, having some difficulty finding what it looked like behind the seats, I've seen both grey and black in other builds.

Currently doing some research on the airframe I chose to make (XS416)

already noticed some things

this is what it looks like according to the instructions

83179c42c440879a82087aadbfd43a09.png

However, looking at photographs, I can see some differences.

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivor.php?id=184&image_id=2853

The camouflage seems to partially wrap around under the wing which isn't shown on the instructions

camo shape looks a bit wrong too but overall it's not way too off.

refuelling probe should be black.

I think I'm going to model it with this funky looking firestreak. ↓

https://www.macksaviation.com/LightningProduction.php?show=XS416

(these photos aren't embedded on purpose as I haven't gotten permission to use them and I don't know what the rules are with this stuff)

I'm not 100% sold on whether the underside is grey or a different shade of metal.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XS416

https://derbosoft.proboards.com/thread/10061/binbrook-lightnings

• Like 2

Cockpit is done

Now onto fitting everything in. I'm aware of this kit's "infamy"

And

Oh dear...

01f414f4af9fdf0d92bd33858255e86c.jpg

Seems like mine has the same issues as everyone else.

Oh well, got to keep pushing on!

• Like 2

Hopefully smooth sailing from here!

5336bf0c9317dd2e2b72c32c6348b185.jpg

b0fc13b4ab09e70bbba64197b2afb040.jpg

I may attempt to fill the cockpit-fuselage gap before fitting the seats but I'm wondering if it's even worth it... Canopy completely covers it.:hmmm:

I'll probably do it anyway to keep myself from thinking about it.

Apart from that, only the exhaust left to fit and then onto painting! (and gear and other bits and bobs too but those go on after painting)

• Like 7

That is looking pretty cool so far. I must admit I really like the Sword Lightnings. They need some work but it is worth it in the end.

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

That is looking pretty cool so far. I must admit I really like the Sword Lightnings. They need some work but it is worth it in the end.

All the best,

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I must admit I'm left pleasantly surprised by this kit, considering sword's questionable reputation kit quality/fit-wise. I'll consider building more sword kits in the future (I already have an AEW gannet in my stash)

I hope the landing gear won't be an issue:undecided:, planning on doing that this afternoon as a sub-assembly

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KingTiger435 said:

Thanks Ray,

I must admit I'm left pleasantly surprised by this kit, considering sword's questionable reputation kit quality/fit-wise. I'll consider building more sword kits in the future (I already have an AEW gannet in my stash)

I hope the landing gear won't be an issue:undecided:, planning on doing that this afternoon as a sub-assembly

I built the Sword AEW Gannet last year, and found it a decent kit.  Instructions left a lot to be desired, some parts were numbered wrongly but on the whole I didn't find it to be much worse than the "mainline" kits I'd built before.  I'd definitely consider another Sword kit..

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking great. The F1 kit that I completed not that long ago suffered from similar fit problems and you've done a good job correcting it. Interestingly, the gap between the flap and the fuselage seems to be present on all of them on that side only...  I've got another six of them to build or something like that so it's always good to see how other people get on 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MD530F said:

Interestingly, the gap between the flap and the fuselage seems to be present on all of them on that side only...  

I'm not sure how/if I'm going to fix that, it's in such an awkward area and I don't have any plasticard to fix it.

The kit is alright but I couldn't imagine building six more :wacko: I wish you luck on your future plans.

2 hours ago, KingTiger435 said:

I'm not sure how/if I'm going to fix that, it's in such an awkward area and I don't have any plasticard to fix it.

The kit is alright but I couldn't imagine building six more :wacko: I wish you luck on your future plans.

Use an old ATM card. Plastic card tends to be a bit thick. I would rather build these than try to use resin conversions on Airfix Lightnings 😄

• Thanks 1

I have attempted to fix the flap, it's not perfect but it'll do, still smoothing it down a bit because it looks a bit rough but still better than the gap originally.

bcb748714505b360ddb1c73444df6aa4.jpg

I have also started a bit of very simple painting to see where touch-ups might be needed but it seems good! I also fixed the cockpit gap.

c11dd88776a00e7dea1bd7353f29f6c5.jpg

I can start painting properly soon! (hopefully)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

6f62a4e5a773195bc31a873a32d0f307.jpg

Making progress on the camouflage.

Camouflage provided in the instructions seems to be wrong compared to photographs I looked at so I tried to get it as close to real life as possible. Still needs some touch-ups.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...