Super Etendard

spacer.pngI originally wanted to build the RFA Blue Rover for this group build but I know I 

just wouldn’t get it finished in time so I’m going for my plan B…should be fun as 

this is my first plane kit….

• Like 4

Hi Paul,

I built one of these a year or so back in the Heller GB and it is a nice enough kit, and a rather attractive model when finished.

DSC04329-crop

As I recall the only real problems I had were with the canopy - don't know if it is the part itself or the way I assembled the fuselage but I ended up filing it down in places. Might therefore be a good idea to test fit it as you assemble the fuselage. You may wish to blank off the air intakes as I believe they have no interior detail and are wide open so you can see inside the fuselage. Also, the nose leg is I think a butt fit so you may need to use CA - incidentally the nose wheel doors are apparently wrong as they seem to have copied them from another earlier plane.

I found a good video clip on You Tube which showed a couple of them at an airshow, going slowly past the camera on the way to take off which provided a lot of detail info. You probably know this already but the kit is of a standard Super Etendard, not the "Super Etendard Modernisee" or "SEM" so watch out for that in any references you may look at, and above all - have fun!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Thanks Pete…I almost bought the PM kit but after reading your posts I’m 

glad I went for Airfix….I know absolutely nothing about planes so any help

will be needed….

Paul

Hi Paul,

Everybody has their own ways and tricks when building kits, but if you search here on BM I dare say you will find a few threads on the subject of this plane. Because I am using Flickr for posting pics and the free version has a limit, I have deleted the pics on my thread but still have them  - if they would be of any use I can always reinstate them for a while. I don't think you will have problems with this kit - just take your time and dry fit the parts before gluing - I should take my own advice at times as I have dropped a few clangers over the years but then we all do, and sometimes kit instructions are either not very clear or just plain wrong. Things like undercarriage door and airbrakes are often shown from strange angles and it is not unknown for the numbers to get reversed ie Port should be Starboard etc.

Finally, one nice thing about this forum is that it is a bit like going to a modelling club - if you are unsure about anything just ask and somebody will probably give you the answer. Don't be discouraged by the odd one or two who can be a bit over enthusiastic and insist on telling you something is wrong - it is your kit so you decide how to build it (one of the two most important rules on the Forum, the other being it is meant to be fun)!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2