Jump to content

Looking to get a new custom piece designed and made.


Corsairfoxfouruncle
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone, 

      I truly hope Im in the right location. Moderator’s if I’m in the wrong by placing this here, please accept my apologies and move/delete. I checked all the sections of 3-D printing and not sure where else to post this ? Im looking for someone in the North America or possibly Europe to do a custom piece ? Shipping cost would be more a concern from Europe. The piece is a Baggage pod/starter in 1/72 scale for the F-101B Voodoo. I’m not sure what exactly is possible. Most likely solid but you would know best. It would be roughly 1.2” x 1” or 1.5 cm’s x 3.0 cm’s. Would be 3/8ths of an inch or 8mm’s thick. I can provide photos both decent and rough to help with working out this piece.
 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paulyoung666 said:

Can you post a picture please 👍

Sure the best of what Ive photo’s Ive found. I cropped them to just show the item Im looking for. Ive added these to a request for more info in Aviation. 
 

If you want I can P/M you with the photo’s ? 
 

Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice simple shape drew this in about 5 mins

 

4mnUSqI.png

 

Obviously what's really needed is dimensions to determine the rest from

 

r2DLO8D.jpg

 

From this pic its length is

87% of the width of the star & bar

81% of the strake above it

182% of the height of the intake splitter plate

Armed with some solid dimensions the rest can be determined, tricky one would be width unless you can get a direct head on pic.

 

also its height is 19% of its length

 

Mark

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Nice simple shape drew this in about 5 mins

 

4mnUSqI.png

 

Obviously what's really needed is dimensions to determine the rest from

 

r2DLO8D.jpg

 

From this pic its length is

87% of the width of the star & bar

81% of the strake above it

182% of the height of the intake splitter plate

Armed with some solid dimensions the rest can be determined, tricky one would be width unless you can get a direct head on pic.

 

also its height is 19% of its length

 

Mark

 

Wow that was quick, very much appreciated. Im hoping someone out there has some technical order for the voodoo that explains the dimensions. I think there might be a market for these. Other modeler’s may want one as most of the photo’s of Voodoo’s traveling seem to have them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

If you are able to get the dimensions of some of those items in the picture, I would be able to work out the rest.

I have the 1/72 kit, if I measure the items would you prefer Metric or Inches ? The revolving tray it mounts to could help give us width. As it needs to be smaller than the opening the tray rotates into. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

 

Either is good, metric means I just have less calculator keying to do👍

I found this on Cybermodeler, the person measures various bits on an F-101 Voodoo. About 1/2 way down he measure’s the splitter plate on the intake. 
 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-101/f-101_tale.shtml

 

Still l measured the width of the ordnance tray. The unit needs to fit in the missile track mounts. Those are 10mm/1cm wide(red). The width from center to edge is 9mm. Since it needs to rotate it shouldn't be more than this. I suspect 10mm wide by 6-8 mm deep. Length 2.2 cm/22mm. 

xpvccAC.jpg

 

The width of the decal flag from edge to edge (red), is 38mm. The length of the strake (blue), is 28mm. 

 

X0uup7Z.jpg
 

Hopefully these get you close to what you need ? As for the APU starter/exhaust port does this help ? tNx9ErP.jpg
It would only need be the exposed round port. So a circle able to fit into the edge as your design ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Ive got something that might work

 

At best guess these are the dimensions I've used real world inches  (1:72 mm)

Length 65 (22.9)

Height 12 (4.23)

Width 24 (8.47) or 28 (9.88)

Stbd opening diameter 8 (2.82)

Port opening diameter 6 (2.12)

 

Couldn't really work out the width very well so tried both 24" and 28"

But both make the whole thing look too long ( photos could have telephoto lense compression effect)

 

Top left is the 24" version, bottom right 28"

jSm2N7Q.png

 

 

 

 

This is the 28" version

l2EWjeL.png

 

let me know if I should change anything or move/ change diameter of the openings?

 

Mark

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Well Ive got something that might work

 

At best guess these are the dimensions I've used real world inches  (1:72 mm)

Length 65 (22.9)

Height 12 (4.23)

Width 24 (8.47) or 28 (9.88)

Stbd opening diameter 8 (2.82)

Port opening diameter 6 (2.12)

 

Couldn't really work out the width very well so tried both 24" and 28"

But both make the whole thing look too long ( photos could have telephoto lense compression effect)

 

Top left is the 24" version, bottom right 28"

jSm2N7Q.png

 

 

 

 

This is the 28" version

l2EWjeL.png

 

let me know if I should change anything or move/ change diameter of the openings?

 

Mark

Hello Mark, Ive been talking to a person that actually mounted the real article to F-101’s. Here is his take.

VUwDEpz.jpg
He looked at this drawing and thinks 12mm wide by 32mm long would be more accurate. I think the openings for the APU look good. If by chance these ⬆️ sizes don't look right then we should go with the 28mm wide model you designed. I’ll let you expand and test it on the computer to see which looks better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of options

 

What might be best at this stage is to draw these sizes as boxes on a piece of paper cut them out and see what size seems to look right against the model. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Mark @Cheshiretaurus Ive finally gotten around to having free time and was able to do some measurements. My 1st attempt was 9mm x 24mm which was way too small. Then came 10.5mm x 28 mm. 
 

bNjBeLP.jpg

Its close but not quite right, so went to 12mm x 32mm.

 

eKsH7n5.jpg

Looks to be almost correct. So modified it a little. Going on these two photo’s.

Lbyt8Dp.jpg

 

hAdiFPr.jpg
 

This is what Ive come up with. Its overall length is 32 mm & width is 12mm however there is a slight difference. In the photo’s the APU unit sticks out a little so Ive added two bumps on one end. 

wvkMG8G.jpg

Overall dimensions are still 12mm x 32mm but the main unit is 12mm x 30mm with the two ports sticking out. The exhaust is 1mm and intake is 2mm. I believe an overall height of 4.23mm would be good. If this is possible let me know your thoughts ? We can go from there once we've decided that its good ? 


Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

main unit is 12mm x 30mm with the two ports sticking out. The exhaust is 1mm and intake is 2mm. I believe an overall height of 4.23mm

Ok I've put those dimension on and this is what I've got, how does this look?

wOXcenc.png

Also there seems to be 2 different configurations of the ports, is this the one you want? or the one with a central port, which also seems to be higher too.

 

 

dSMhTDs.png

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Ok I've put those dimension on and this is what I've got, how does this look?

wOXcenc.png

 

Also there seems to be 3 different configurations of the ports, is this the one you want?

dSMhTDs.png

 

Mark

Hello Mark the middle one in the three photo’s is the one on the actual aircraft I have decals for. Your drawing looks correct to my eyes. Now its just any fine tuning and what not that you may still need to do. Let me know what the piece would cost once you're good to go. Depending on the cost I may go with a couple of these, possibly in 1/48 also (if thats possible). Just to let you know Im on a budget so hopefully that wont be an issue if we do the transaction in February. 
 

Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dont worry about printing costs (unless of course youre building a fleet😀)

 

Just postage costs, Think your in Illinois? everything sent together should fit in the "large letter" category and if I can keep it below 100g total weight then it would be just £4 or £5.85 upto to 250g

 

1:48 is just a simple enlargement of 1.5x

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Dont worry about printing costs (unless of course youre building a fleet😀)

 

Just postage costs, Think your in Illinois? everything sent together should fit in the "large letter" category and if I can keep it below 100g total weight then it would be just £4 or £5.85 upto to 250g

 

1:48 is just a simple enlargement of 1.5x

 

 

Well Thank you very much that would work out great then. I may get a couple then provided they stay below weight. 
 

Dennis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Ill get them printed probebly this week I think.

 

Just to check, do I have the 1mm & 2mm ports the right way round?

 

QY6zKyn.jpg

After looking at the photo’s again I would reverse them. Im not sure how long it will take to print or cure as Im unfamiliar with the ins/outs of 3D printing.  Let me know how long, if needs be I can find the money earlier or we can do everything via PayPal on February 1st. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

   Hello and Good morning @Cheshiretaurus, I will be ready to proceed as of the 1st so let me know how much postage it will be for four pieces. Two each in 1/72 & 1:48, I have a friend Id like to give one too. Please D/M when you send the paypal info as Id like to keep that private as Im sure you will also. 
 

Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Two each in 1/72 & 1:48

 

Hot off the printer this afternoon for you Dennis, just need to let them dry, snip the supports off and then cure them.

 

I'll PM you the relevant stuff in a day or so.

 

Mark

gMwmJAr.jpg

 

XI7Espd.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to Looking to get a new custom piece designed and made.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...