Keith Park Hurricane on Malta, OK-2... a second pic....

Troy Smith

Well,  this one has been discussed here on occasion

eg 

this is the only known image....

38-2.jpg

A better version (in Hurricane at War 2)  appears to show the A wing panels,  though this usually profiled as a IIc.

On 07/11/2010 at 16:27, tonyot said:

If you look under the wing it is also fitted with bomb racks, which on Malta aircraft were ex Baeufighter items, not the faired in `jobbies' used on Hurribombers in NW Europe.

I`d say the colour scheme was freshly painted Dark Earth and Dark Green with Medium Sea Grey codes, note the rank pennant under the canopy.

On 07/11/2010 at 16:27, tonyot said:

which is the only one that I know of showing OK-2

Inded Tony... and this turned up via google

3e13b95ad9ddf7561614742f345dd3d9ba1dc390

this is in the link 

269dc6e6c7969d9b773cbced298ec4e2273b140e

Note, almost certainly the same plane,  looks to have replacement engine cowl panels,  very clear once you look in comparison to the two above images.....

the other thing that these two above say to me is "cropped from a bigger image" .......   taken at the same time.   Though the 2nd images looks to be out of a book? (which book?) 

Any of our Australian members have any idea how much sense you might get out of The Sydney Morning Herald? 

cheers

T

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Note, almost certainly the same plane,  looks to have replacement engine cowl panels,  very clear once you look in comparison to the two above images.....

I'd agree same plane, but looks more like a repaint around the cockpit to me rather than replacement cowling panels. The dark (fresh paint) area from instrument panel frame to the back of the doghouse and midway down the fuselage with a hard demarcation. Windscreen and hood framing appear to be the same fresh paint as well.

• Like 2