Special Hobby Mirage F.1AZ Mirage - 1/72 - 13dec21 getting her built up and final painting bits

Hi all, 

I am wrapping up my GB WIP here as I missed the finish deadline. To be honest, as you can see from the GB thread below, she is nearly done. I am held back a little by waiting time for paints and varnishes to dry etc. I was so nearly there!  Despite that, and as (nearly) always I have enjoyed the build of a machine that will add to my Gabon and African collection. 

Right now she is sat, patiently, in her "Paint barn" while everything settles down. 

Mirage47

Back again soon.

Martin

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so I'm back to her and she will get done in the next few days :). 

I have now got most of the small painting jobs done, including the multi-coloured ejector seat ;). This image doesn't really show everything but just for this one small part I had a long queue of paint pots awaiting their turn to be used. 

Mirage49

I also reallised that the AZ had twin rear-view mirrors on the canopy. The kit gives you one central mirror that is part of the canopy mouldling. I removed that and then made up two others from card which are now attached and await a few wipes with a black brush. I have also added the canopy opening mechanisim on the port side, made from a short length of rod. Again it will need some black paint and then a little yellow.

Mirage48

After this I have started the final build process. First of all I decided to change my usaual wash technique and to used a mix of white and black Flory to give me a very slight difference from the paint work. I also decided not to wash the panel lines and to stick to things that moved or could be opened and areas where there might have been a little build up of grime. The undercarriage legs, however, were washed with Flory Dirt. 

I then got the main legs on. Later today I will get the wheels on. the remaining doors, etc.  :)

Mirage50

Martin

• Like 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Special Hobby Mirage F.1AZ Mirage - 1/72 - 13dec21 getting her built up and final painting bits

I’m very happy to report that she now has her wheels on, the dorsal blade antenna on and painted, the remaining u/c doors on, the seat installed and the belly tank on. I just need to finishing painting the interior of the canopy and she’ll be done :). 

Martin