Lancaster coastal command

PeeWee21

I don't know either kit, but if no-one else is offering anything: the Lancaster will almost certainly require a change to the rear turret, as these aircraft will have had the 2x0.5 in version.  Plus various aerials and minor changes.  The B-17F should be OK.

I can't speak for the Coastal Command Lancaster, but the B-17F kit should work for a Coastal Command Fortress II, I would think, with the following exceptions to look for:

• the nose armament fit might be different than that of a USAAF B-17F- I doubt the RAF aircraft had the twin .50 cal nose gun mount, maybe just a single .50 cal in the nose perspex? The cheek guns might also not present, as these aircraft most likely were never subjected to intense frontal attacks like their American cousins. Check photos of  your modeling subject to confrm.
  • Some Fortress II's might have had a Yagi radar antenna fitted in the nose- once again, try to find a photo.

I would recommend you get Squadrons vol. 21,  The Boeing Fortress, Mk II and III,  which has extensive coverage of Fortress II's and III's- pretty sure it is offered in digital format, which would be more economical than the print version.

This should get you started. We also have a resident Fortress authority, @tomprobert,  who I bet can be helpful. IIRC only 19 B-17F's were taken on charge by the RAF. but don't hold me to that figure. This should get you started.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text, corrected spelling
  • Like 1

I suggest Robert Stitt's "Boeing B-17 Fortress in RAF Coastal Command Service" would be a better choice for the modeller.  There is also a book available on post-w use of the Lancaster (sorry I don't know the exact title but a quick Google should find it).

There were two batches of B-17F/Fortress II, the first was 19 given RAF serials FA695 to FA713, for Coastal Command.  The aircraft were taken on strength November 1942 to February 1943.  The second was a theatre transfer of 14 from 8th Air Force in Britain for Bomber Command radio counter measures, 223 squadron.  The aircraft were taken on strength January to March 1944, using the RAF aircraft census.

The first batch were 6 B-17F-27-BO, 6 B-17F-30-BO and 7 B-17F-40-BO.  The RAF B-17F-27 were amongst the last to still have 0.30 calibre guns factory fitted, the -30 eliminated side window ball socket mounts, the -35 eliminated the rail gunner's additional armour plate, the -40 was "minor changes".

While the MR/GR Lancaster III was a minimal change from the bomber they were around for long enough to accumulate plenty of modifications and paint schemes.  According to RAF Squadrons by Jefford, Lancaster GR.3 were used by
18 Squadron in September 1946, for about 3 weeks after 621 squadron was renumbered, then 18 squadron became B flight of 38 squadron
37 Squadron from September 1947 to July 1953, based at Ein Shemar in what is now Israel until March 1948, then to Malta.
38 Squadron from July 1946 to September 1953, based in Malta, to Ein Shemar in December 1946, to Malta March 1948
120 Squadron from November 1946 to April 1951, based in Britain.
160 Squadron in August 1946, renumbered to 120 Squadron in October, based in Scotland.  Not the apparent gap in Lancasters on strength of 120 squadron in November.
179 Squadron from February to September 1946, based in Britain (Part of squadron renumbered 210 squadron in June 1946.
203 Squadron from July 1946 to March 1953, based in Britain.
210 Squadron from June 1946 to December 1952, based in Britain
224 Squadron from October 1946 to November 1947, based in Britain.
279 Squadron from September 1945 to March 1946, based in Britain.
621 Squadron from April to August 1946, at Aqir and Ein Shemar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1