Italeri 1/48 Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet E, Force Aerienne Belge, 35 Years of Alpha Jet, 2014 +FINISHED+

Icarus

Good afternoon.  I would like to contribute this build - the old ESCI kit, with lovely looking French AF decals:

7RO8vn-7obAVyQ1HMZToaTrGPZ5JRJ2a1_8izG7x

VNecvxiyLICLf5xEMpww3XumkumDtAod9QCGDEXl

I am planning to build this OOB, apart form perhaps some replacement ejector seats, depending on what the kit ones look like when painted and decaled.  I'm planning to have the canopy closed in this one.

As an aside, if you look closely in the second photo you might be able to see what my second build for this GB will be, depending on time.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 5

• Icarus changed the title to Italeri 1/48 Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet E, Force Aerienne Belge, 35 Years of Alpha Jet, 2014

So slight change of plan (and build title).  Having looked at the choices, I am tempted by the Belgian commemorative one, so will be going with this option (without the photobombing cat!)

26JQnZ7nxbDkvW4lFZCwJT24fQ_otPVnoZg8vFqW

oOkBH4j3zrNJO_GOL79QqYbTYJfj47gMdyqP7eLL

Should be fun - I've never done a splinter scheme before!

Icarus

• Like 5

So, getting on with this.  The base kit is very old (raised panel lines etc), with a pretty poor fit.  I have bought, and now painted, two resin ejection seats to provide a bit more detail to the cockpit.  The canopy will remain closed in this one, so I am hoping this will suffice.

VTfKIevVuHDldR7TE7Nm0KLKsqTAaSG6jZgd85cw

And this is where things are this morning.  Starting to sand down the chasms in the build fuselage.  The wings and ejection seats are just tacked in for the photo.

oGHTGhWIk7Vx-UFmmM_rv8MnUrSrV0UT3Tfspjrm

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

So, here is the fuselage this afternoon following some filling, sanding and polishing sessions....

aU5ij7l07L9yWQuSAAenD-EVuS2pqeQhbaPhO1Rw

This is later this evening, after the first light grey layer/primer was down.  Next step - a lot of masking for the splinter camouflage...

kwVOerPr552bL_GIVCCKpVhEZbnN7QRxGE99hfLF

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

So this is the first stage of masking yesterday...

Q4YdNpystUpKvg1ywJDD6zPYYCH7tpi4dQZTS-OS

Note the "anti-idiot" labels - this splinter pattern is pretty complicated!

Now after laying the second paint layer - XF-19 looks to be a pretty good match for the mid grey, looking at photos...

iQ9jvC0IqYDW6Qb2gLmKifLUFGARWduna0DZYgdc

Next step is to make the masks for the mid grey.  This is all a new experience for me, and a great learning experience.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

So, this is the final outcome this morning. Wings have just been placed in their slots to check how well lined up the elements are!

B8xaFTphTYDpkBW6skNqEnfaGnzK2QUcwzK_7U40

tI5sq-ppTVxglO1KYUHD2e_75bke0m3ruGs8USXg

A few inevitable touch ups are needed, as I forgot to burnish the final layer of masks before putting on the the sea grey, with the consequential leaks around a few of the raised panel lines.  Not too bad though - you can see I have already been working on them with a toothpick, so just a few dabs of the relevant greys needed now.  I shall probably wait until I've glued the wings on, as there may need to be a few more touch ups after this.  I also need to fill in those redundant wing pylon holes!

Next stage will then be a gloss varnish, followed by decals.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

So, decaling is now complete.  Impressively tough decals, which were amenable to manoeuvring but reacted well to setting solutions.

HEu6fO6IyiHdjcPsW7Mqb_9RsQvuSA9_Vhw8C6K8

Next steps are some very modest weathering (the original aircraft looks pretty pristine in reference photos) then a satin varnish, before removal of masks.  Finally I'll add the delicate/dangly things, and we're done.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

OK - all done now.  I will post photos in the Gallery later.

66YmiGJvAukmQS930rbHLFjifXOouYwuISLPCf9Z

yjQYme7AJSZKHUG2aQVyylM5f7zNWOiTLe5z6585

HtVIoCdAJP3UJj3VPW83MZN2GFAOBTuc_CpJNyfB

xIFYx1BpcR1b_j4d48JuBQHvSI6vt9fwCJ1AsjE_

Ye5SKfqH8KHniqf90ZOVlNWW9D7tPpKDnCso1rwX

Thank you for all the helpful comments,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 5

• Icarus changed the title to Italeri 1/48 Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet E, Force Aerienne Belge, 35 Years of Alpha Jet, 2014 +FINISHED+

Oops - forgot the canopy decals, plus the fin aerials.  Now on!

RtHkLksfQajIuwYpdWoHrce3C0ZGgQwN8XxPOw8I

Again, thanks for looking.  The rest of the latest photos will be going with this one to the Gallery.

Icarus

• Like 3