Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

396 Excellent

About Icarus

  • Rank
  • Birthday 09/26/1969

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

1,283 profile views
  1. Thank you everyone - hopefully the previous image links above now work. Needed to "share" the images in oogle photos (which is something I've never had to do before on this forum..) Anyway, this kit truly is an "oldie but goodie" kit! See images of the painting, and eventual weathering, of the cockpit and escape capsule - wonderful moulded on detail for me to paint. I know most of this won't be particularly visible when complete, but at least I (and the commissioner!) will know it's there! And yes Gareth, I did use my old surgical loupes for this work! Icarus
  2. One of my favourite parts of making jet models is working with Alclads. This shows the detail associated with the exquisite resin nozzles. The flash has removed much of the colour, but this is a steel base, with a misting of burnt iron and pale burnt metal at the distal tips of the nozzle petals: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN6NT1tB_Ha6lEqDJIWnWFoOItjXk_Y92kl7fD4ffaUvgSPvu43N2SSbwp6SbYG5w?key=T3ZKREJ5aVMwS0FleDRrb2ZSNE9aaW52Z0xUdXJ3 With a light oil pin wash, this will come look great! Icarus
  3. Very odd - not sure what is happening with *oogle photos. Anyway, I will include a link below each picture. So, This is last night's engine nozzle prime: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOx_TTeY7YHfLwp-j7pxkJy1wx71tzb3lSxx-gl7AwduIA_45sHqMT0Cwvjr9gdlg/photo/AF1QipOAd35hYcuG6J8HEgy3jWivlHTOgM3HSBuiSqxC?key=czZQcmRVV0Z1RHBHWE5seFZIR29IT2JTc2djcFhn Icarus
  4. And one final one from me, that I forgot to post last night. That is a lot of engine! Just priming with Alclad primer, ready for some fun later on with various Alclad shades. Not obvious in this picture perhaps due to the primer colour, but the nozzle detail on the resin is exquisite! That is the exhaust nozzle from a 1/144 F-16A on the bottom right BTW, which is also on the production line. Icarus
  5. I think I will need a bigger workspace for this... Icarus
  6. Odd - I still see the image on my computer. Let's see if this works... https://photos.app.goo.gl/7mFfBovMjfZFtNkd6 Icarus
  7. Good evening. Doing this a commission build. Here's the starting material - Reboxed Monogram kit, plus resin jet pipes, turned brass pitot and white metal undercarriage (this will be a biggie!!) Yes - that is also an Airfix Club (Special Hobby) 1/72 Meteor F8 further along the production line... Icarus
  8. Very, VERY late, but work travel put a spanner in the timelines for this. Anyway, finally done. Eduard's fantastic PE set for the kit has been used throughout, and the pitot is a Master models turned brass one. Much of the extra detail is in the cockpit, which perversely I have then shut up, but I do like the sleek lines of it with canopy closed. Anyway, as you can see from the last two piccies, the canopy isn't glued in place, so if I do later decide to display it open I can. Thank you for following! Icarus
  9. So, I have spent most of the evening fishing bits of auto-destruct decal out of a dish of warm water, and trying to reconstruct the wonderful commemorative scheme this model is supposed to represent later. This is where I am 4 hours later - I need a break for the evening, as I'm starting to go a bit cross-eyed! Not too bad, although there are a few gaps which I will need to touch up afterwards. It'll be worth it in the end! Icarus
  10. Now this is a colourful aircraft! Let's hope the ancient decals are sufficiently opaque to cover that yellow/black dividing line... Icarus
  11. So - a ridiculous amount of masking later... Ironically, all of those bits masked with yellow Kabuki tape will eventually by white (or black), whereas the bits that appear white now will be yellow. Anyway, this is what the result is following the first coat of yellow.. Can't wait to remove the masking on this. It will certainly be eye-catching! Icarus
  12. So, the canopy is on now and masked. I have now been fiddling around with black paint, and as you can see I have made the new ventral fins for this "S"as these weren't in the original kit. They're the plasticard shapes on the top of the two bottles on the bottom of the cutting mat.. So now the difficult part - how to mask this, ready for the ancient decals? The instructions are not particularly helpful, so I will need to use the photos on the packaging plus any references I can find on the net. I think, unusually, it will probably be easier to have the black as the base colour, then mask it to spray on white both for the wings/undersides, but also as a base for the yellow in the scheme. This sounds simple, but unfortunately it is difficult to see where the transition between yellow and black is on the references, and I will obviously be assuming the decals have reasonable opacity on top of this, otherwise it will look a bit rubbish, to be honest. Oh well - nothing ventured, nothing gained... Icarus
  13. Aircraft: Lockheed Tristar KC1, 216 Squadron, RAF Brize Norton, 1994 Manufacturer: Hasegawa Scale: 1/200 Build details: Built out of the box, with oil pin wash Icarus
  14. So now less "moth-eaten", but rather "pie-bald". It won't necessarily be obvious until the details are highlighted with a pin wash later on, but I have had a lot of fun over the last couple of nights adding all sorts of PE bits to the exterior of this... Next steps adding canopy (some temporarily), then masking up before the real fun of painting and decaling this thing starts... Icarus
  • Create New...