Allover olive drab repaint USAF C-47s Europe ca. 1950

longshot

Les Vowles photographed some USAF C-47s at Northolt and Bovingdon between 1948 and 1950 which had evidently been repainted drab allover (he recalls them as green with yellow lettering). The Prague Military Air Attache's C-47 was in 1948(lower pic), the others in 1950. This was when bare metal was the standard finish. Of interest, possibly, to modellers? https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/search?type=C-47&date_taken=&photographer=Les+Vowles&information=drab&tag_fields=["type"]spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by longshot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've seen period photos of Berlin Airlift C-47's in overall OD and some in bare metal with replacement panels from an OD aircraft. I have some b&w photos of USAF C-47's and USAF/USN C-54's and R5D's that my late father took when he was at RAF Fassberg during the Airlift.

Mike

On 3/24/2021 at 8:01 PM, 72modeler said:

I've seen period photos of Berlin Airlift C-47's in overall OD and some in bare metal with replacement panels from an OD aircraft. I have some b&w photos of USAF C-47's and USAF/USN C-54's and R5D's that my late father took when he was at RAF Fassberg during the Airlift.

Mike

Are the Berlin Airlift C-47s freshly painted like these examples or are their paint jobs faded relics of WWII schemes? I could upload your father's photos to ABPIC for you if you wish, they sound interesting.

Edited by longshot

2 hours ago, longshot said:

Are the Berlin Airlift C-47s freshly painted like these examples

As I recall, some looked like they had their original faded OD finish, and some were in natural metal but had replacement outer wings/ailerons from an OD finished airplane. I will try to find the photo albums and refresh my memory. The C-54/R5D's were all in bare metal and IIRC, the USN examples had large two/three digit numbers on their fins.

Mike

Well, that's confusing, two threads running the same information at the same time.  Most of the original of this note repeats what Mike posted a couple of hours ago on the other thread so I've deleted that bit and refer others to what he already said.  Great minds, etc, etc!

Iliad Decals feature the same machine 43-15672 on its sheet:

http://www.iliad-design.com/decals/Airlift.html

They show the underside as grey.  But I have to wonder if the replacement wings were OD above and below.  If that’s the case, it must have been quite a sight with its old Neutral Gray on the fuselage and wing centre section.  Well, it was an emergency.

Edited by RJP
blather reduction

I think these allover repainted C-47s aren't connected with the Berlin Airlift....I think these are smartened up semi-V.I.P machines (mostly around 1950, only the Prague Military Air Attaches was 1948)...the USAF base commander at RAF Lakenheath had this one with yellow painted engine cowls according to an eye-witness memoryspacer.png

• Like 1

As I understand it from my research the Berlin crisis caught the allies somewhat by surprise, and there was a scramble to find aircraft that could be used to supply the city. At first – at least until things really got organized and larger aircraft could be brought to Germany – C-47s were the only types available in any number, and they were brought in from all over Europe. I think the haphazard schemes and shabby appearance of so many of them is because in the race to make them airlift serviceable they were refurbished with whatever parts were available... freshly painted wings from storage, bits and pieces from unserviceable "boneyard" aircraft, fresh aluminum-painted control surfaces, dabs of fresh paint here and there, often obliterating old unit markings, etc. Whatever could be done to make them airworthy as quickly as possible, with no thought given to how they looked at all. Once the larger C-54s and other types started arriving the C-47s were phased out.

Now, as to the overall green/Dark Olive Drab aircraft. I haven't been able to find any official reference to an overall scheme for this period. I agree that this was probably done with an eye toward their being used for 'diplomatic' service – attached to an embassy or used by the military attaches in various countries. I would speculate that in an attempt to give a 'diplomatic' aircraft a more presentable appearance an older wartime machine might be painted overall in a single colour. Post war there would be no real need for camouflage, and it would be easier to paint it than strip the old finish and polish it.

Bob

• Thanks 1