Eduard 1/48 Lysander (Limited Edition) - Special Duties in France

It's now looking a little care-worn, in an approximation to the appearance in my reference photos. LifeColor Liquid Pigment in various shades from dark to pale, and a few little chips to the paintwork along removable panel lines and around the gills in Tamiya Flat Aluminium. I've also taken off the canopy masking and successfully popped off the two transparency panels to expose the cockpit. Some work to be done there, showing them in their open positions, and various bits and bobs to be added--pick up hook, underside aerial and long-range tank, the front of the cowling and the exhaust, but nearly there.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I added the exhaust cowling, which brightens things up a little.

cowling.jpg

No overhead radio aerial in these SD aircraft, I presume to avoid garotting people getting in and out of the rear compartment in the dark, and to allow this sort of thing to happen:

loading-casualties.jpg

I presume they relied on the enlarged radio aerial on the underside, which I'll fit towards the end of the assembly, since I tend to keep knocking these things off while handling the model.

The last tricky bit (he says confidently) is producing a convincing looking sliding canopy roof. (The side windows slid down into the fuselage, so are easy enough.)

Here's what I'm after:

sliding-canopy.jpg

The problem with the thick kit canopy is that of course, though I was able to saw it into the appropriate sections, the front bit (left) doesn't rest low enough on the rear bit (right):

lysander-top-canopy-divided.jpg

I suppose a vacform canopy would have addressed this issue, but I wasn't convinced the Squadron canopy (intended for an Italeri kit) would fit the Eduard kit well enough. I've ended up with a jerry-rigged solution--I thinned the lower edges of the forward canopy to allow it to sit a bit lower, then extended it downwards by adding a new frame (styrene strip) to the edges of the existing part. Here it is, complete with the rods extending from the rear:

revised-canopy-roof.jpg

Dry fitting suggests an OK-ish result--and as the lesser of two evils, I'd rather have it a little oversized than teetering in place like a small hat on a large head. It's not in place yet, since the kit is currently upside down while the glue dries on the long-range tank.

But that's probably the last bulletin here, unless I run into unexpected problems. It will float into the "Read For Inspection" thread in due course.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Corvi said:

Smashing build  Love the scheme  I am currently looking for this kit  Hard to find now 

Missed the boat

Thanks. It was a nice kit. My only complaint would be that the decals were somewhat out of register, with white backing showing along the edges of the red lettering. Not obvious until I started putting them on, at which point white rims became very noticeable against the black paintwork. I should have hunted down something aftermarket by way of a replacement.