Trumpeter's 1:350 scale Kirovs - differences in kits?

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I have time on my hands during this stay at home period but I need to minimise my use of what modelling supples I have, so I have decided use some of my modelling time to plan future builds.   One I would like to do is the Trumpeter 1:350 Kirov class, however there appears to be three kits of the Kirov: Admiral Lazarev; Pyotr Velikiy and Admiral Ushankov.  I am assuming that they are all the same basic kit but what differences are there between each kit?  What is it about them that makes Trumpeter produce three different boxings?   I would be grateful to hear from anyone with knowledge and information on this as it could help me before I decide which kit to get.

Thanks in advance and keep safe.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Cannot comment on the kits but there are some significant differences between the 3 hulls themselves in terms of armament and sensors

All were fitted with 20 SSN 19 but after that the weapon fits varied:

Admiral Ushakov (Hull 1 - originally Kirov) was fitted with SSN-14, SAN-6, SAN-4 and 2 x 100mm guns plus a load of RBUs and ADGs

Admiral Lazarev (Hull 2 - originally Frunze) was fitted with SAN-9 (fitted for bit not with), SAN-6, SAN-4 and 1 x twin 130mm gun (plus the RBUs and ADGs)

Pyotr Velikiy (Hull 4 - originally Yuri Andropov)  was fitted with SAN-9, S-300F and FM SSMs, 1 x twin 130mm gun, CADS-N1 point defence system and some RBUs
The first 2 hulls had Top Steer and Top Pair radars, Pyotr Velikiy had Top Pair and Top Plate.

I had the dubious honour(?) as an officer of the watch in late 1984 of coming within about 50 yards of hitting Frunze at 28 kts just after she came out of build!  She was a really impressive ship

Hope that helps

• Like 2

Thanks Ralph, there's enough info in your response to show that any kit should do then as I want to do a Soviet era Kirov. The only difference might be to ensure it has the correct radars.  I shall keep searching to find what radar and weapons fit comes with each kit. 

I've always had a keen interest of Soviet era warships, ever since my days with the 'eye-spy' team on HMS Intrepid.  I still have most of my books on Soviet shipping from that period plus I am sure you will remember the poster!

spacer.png

I keep getting tempted to do a scratch build but those radars would defeat me I'm sure, so a kit is probably better.

Mike

• Like 1

On 11/04/2020 at 10:56, bootneck said:

I shall keep searching to find what radar and weapons fit comes with each kit.

I've had a search around and it appears that the radars in the kits are quite rudimentary. This means, whichever version I got, I would have to buy the White Ensign detailed radar set but they are not available in the UK.  The cost for that p.e. alone works out at similar to the cost of the whole kit, plus shipping, from the USA.  Now that I have identified this info, I think I shall have to s/b the ship and use my available funds to get the detailed radar set; the model probably wouldn't look right without it.

cheers,

Mike

On 11/04/2020 at 10:56, bootneck said:

Thanks Ralph, there's enough info in your response to show that any kit should do then as I want to do a Soviet era Kirov. The only difference might be to ensure it has the correct radars.  I shall keep searching to find what radar and weapons fit comes with each kit. 

I've always had a keen interest of Soviet era warships, ever since my days with the 'eye-spy' team on HMS Intrepid.  I still have most of my books on Soviet shipping from that period plus I am sure you will remember the poster!

Definitely remember that poster!  It was a shame in a way that during my time we rarely came across Soviet era warships as they always look very impressive.  Frunze was especially so and it was great fun stood on the bridge with a pair of binos and Jane's opened to the Kirov page trying to work out what was different, bearing in mind we were probably the first Brits to ever see hull 2.

When tidying the garage at the weekend I did come across the unclassified Soviet SAM handbook from 1988 if any of that would be useful to you. 

Lion Roar do a set of Russian radars - product code - LE350016. I don't know if they are still available.

The set covers - 2(I think) of each of -Top Pair, Front Door, Strut Pair, Head Light(SAN3), Top Steer, Pop Group(SAN4), Cross Sword(SAN9), Palm Frond, Top Plate Plate M Steer Radars.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

When tidying the garage at the weekend I did come across the unclassified Soviet SAM handbook from 1988 if any of that would be useful to you. 

That sounds like a useful publication.  I shall do some research as to which types I need details on, then ask if you could scan any relevant pages please.

2 hours ago, Niall said:

Lion Roar do a set of Russian radars - product code - LE350016. I don't know if they are still available.

The set covers - 2(I think) of each of -Top Pair, Front Door, Strut Pair, Head Light(SAN3), Top Steer, Pop Group(SAN4), Cross Sword(SAN9), Palm Frond, Top Plate Plate M Steer Radars.

Thanks Niall, I didn't realise anyone else had produced Soviet naval radars.  I have just done a Google search but no-one seems to have them in stock any more.

cheers,

Mike