Op Banner Sea King HC4’s - what sqn & what cabs?

Rickoshea52

One of my future builds will be Airfix’s Sea King HC4 which I’d like to do as an Aldergrove based cab from 1996-98 period. Any ex-fish heads who can shed light on the cab serials that might have been there and the sqn who manned them would be appreciated. Any other pertinent info on the role fit of the cab would be helpful too, for example our 230 sqn Pumas had Cougar radios so a different aerial and seat armour for NI Std fitted, did the navy cabs have any unique features for all Banner?

TIA

Hi there,

Some records from 1996:-

Feb. 96 - 846 Squadron

ZA296, coded "VO"

ZH119, coded "VH"

ZF121, coded "VJ"

Above three cabs joined by ZD625 "VF" in April '96.

I'm afraid I can't provide any serials after that date.

I have a feeling that 737 sqn were the first detachment of Junglies in the early 1990's? Don't know any details about NI fit/armour I'm afraid.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Not a Fish-head

P.P.S. Can I take my anorak off now??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Might/definitely not 737 NAS cos they dispanded before this in the 80’s with the last of the Wessex 3’s.

845 NAS did numerous stints in NI covering the RAF Puma and Wessex fleets, not sure about 846 NAS Sea Kings though, I’ll leave that to Sky dancer and Junglie rating as they will know more than me.

I had a few winch down and up trips on those cabs during that period dropping myself and the trusty hound onto the River Class ships on OPS G and I. The major difference between them and the light blue job cabs was that they would turn up regardless of clouds in the sky ;)

• Haha 3