Cleaning/dusting models

I have 2 tanks that I painted, but never properly weathered and pinwashed, yadda yadda, so I want to go back and finish the job.

But do I need to do anything special to the models to prevent damaging the bare paint (not covered in flat clear or future or whatnot), so that I can weather them?

Hello @WelshZeCorgi ... Speaking in general since i dont do many armored subjects. I recommend a clearcoat of some sort to protect the paint. If you mess up the weathering you stand a better chance of saving the paint when you remove whatever you’ve done. 

Since you dont say how much experience with models you have. I will presume some but not a lot. For weathering i recommend you go easy. You can always add to it, but its very hard to remove the weathering. When weathering i use this as a standard. If i think it needs just a little more then STOP !!! Thats usually when it goes from realistic to toy like. I hope this helps and if i can help please reach out and ask. 

Dennis

Thanks, I'll follow your advice, but before I do that, these model tanks have a lot of dust and crap on them that built up over time. I'm just wondering what the best way to get rid of all the crap without damaging the paint already on them?

I'd say use a old brush to loosen the dust and then use a soft make up brush to remove it.

If you have access to low pressure compressed air then that will help.

If you try to wash it all off it may 'set' as it dries in crevices.

Weathering. Less is more, is the general rule, 

I have an unfinished diorama and two near-finished AFVs busily collecting large amounts of dust. I will think nothing of giving them all a good blast with an airbrush before finishing them off. If that doesn't get rid of the worst of it I will resort to soft dry brushes, then, if that doesn't work, stiff dry brushes, and as a last resort wet brushes.

Rearguards,

Badder