Revell A380 1/144 Lufthansa

Hi,

I'm just starting on a new build - the A380 1/144 scale by Revell.  Has anyone any tips for masking the engine cowling(?) - the silver bit at the very front of the engine - to paint the inner side?

I was disappointed to find out that the kit does not come with passenger windows or a stand (which was standard in the 747-800 kit).  I've asked Revell for a replacement stand for the 747-800 which I shall use for the A380.  I guess, the best thing to do for the windows is to mask the outside of them, and fill in the windows with filler from the inside?

To paint the model, I am going to use Tamiya spray paint. I've already wasted money on what I thought was a similar colour as Revell's Light Grey Silk Matt, for the undercarriage - by testing TS-66 and TS-81. The TS-66 is way too dark and the TS-81 has a kind of a green hue to it, so I'm waiting on TS-32 (Haze Grey) to see if that is any better.  If not, I reckon I'll use it anyway - just bite the bullet!  Hope to add in photos soon.

Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

• FergusKenny changed the title to Revell A380 1/144 Lufthansa

If the windows are just small holes you could glaze them with Krystal Cleer, Clearfix or similar. Simply dip a cocktail stick in the glue, attach a little bit to one side of the window and draw it across to fill the space. It takes a little time to get the technique right but any mess can be wiped off with a damp tissue or cotton bud. It's surprisingly effective. And you can do it at the end once everything is painted and the transfers on. It also saves on masking (certainly in the case of an A380) loads of windows. 

the engines I normally paint prior to gluing them on, its not everyone's cup of tea but allows you to paint the small areas of the engine (like the fan blades, cowling, lip etc) without trying to work around the wing.

I often paint the inside of the engine first, then when im happy with it insert piece of paper that has been rolled into a cylinder roughly the same size as the inner engine. that way it stops any spray getting inside if you are painting the cowling then finally the lip

phil 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read elsewhere on the windows front, which I have done - which was to use some Tamiya masking tape on the outside of the fuselage to cover the window holes, then use some filler to fill in the holes from inside the fuselage - that way you get a nice flush finish when you remove the masking tape. Nice little tip :)

I'm waiting on a replacement part from Revell (clear plastic piece that represents the light in the wing) but in the meantime, I've assembled the engines, 1 wing and the body of the plane.

I am curious as to how I should finish the model, when its painted - as in apply a clear gloss coat.  I've used Humbrol clear varnish before (from a can) on a ME109, which ruined the model with a 'foggy' effect and seemed to make the paint melt in places. I was not impressed.  

Anyway, would anyone recommend using Windsor & Newton Clear Varnish?

Thanks for the replies.