Arado Ar.196 A-2 cockpit masking dilemma

mtchllro

I have spent quite a lot of time searching for pictures with no joy.

I have found a few pics but none showing (in any clarity) the area concerned,I have noticed the instructions are wrong as the trailing edge of the cockpit glass is unframed with the supporting framwork starting around 5 inches back from the gunners position so I will have to work that into the masking even if it's only a token amount showing.

I will carry on looking.

Found a video from WWII showing the Arado 196 and Junkers 88 attacking I took this screenshot.

image_zpsn908to9j.png

Apart from that The best I've found so far is this.

image_zpszrzdkenb.jpeg

From the top pic it looks like there is framework going across albeit thinner but the bottom pic suggests there isn't.

I've gone for the "no frame" option the one I am doing is off the Bismarck so with no pics available (at least to me) I have gone with the bottom pic.

Also at 1/72 the amount of free glass you would be able to see is negligible(and over my masking abilities) so have had to put the frame at the edge.

Waiting for paint to cure before stripping off masking hopefully this time I will be happy if not its paint stripping time.

I have found a few more pics and nearly all of them have slightly different rear cockpit designs one even has a completely enclosed one some have the "free "glass edge some with framed edges.

Edited by mtchllro

I will try to have a look in the old Signal Lw. in action which should have some pics. I also just noticed in my book list that I have a Polish publication on the 196, of which I know where it is :frantic: I hope I'll think about it this evening.

The way the rear "frame" is presented, it may not actually be a frame but wind deflector sheets.

• Like 1

Ok, I looked them up.Forget Wydawnictwo Militaris 53. Small pics printed in a washed out manner. In action #8 Luftwaffe Vol. 4 is for you, though. I'm not 100% sure if it's for all versions, But the common configuration seems to be a vr tical frame ca. 6" in front of the rear end of the canopy, no frame at the rear, thinnish material (possibly something like a thick flexible foil?), Wind deflectors (painted ) both sides, and an upwards tilting apex section (hence narrow longitudinal frames near the top ).

Thank you for finding that out for me it is much appreciated.

I will have to order a replacement canopy as while trying to remove masking my big finger (and unusual strength for this time of day ) I have managed to snap it in two across the top ,at least it saves me from restripping the paint .

If you dip your canopy in Future (or it's equivalent) prior to painting it's real easy to strip off the paint. If you soak it in household ammonia (I usually leave it overnight, so I have no idea how long it actually takes) the Future coat, along with the paint will almost float off of the plastic. Redip and give it another try. I know it won't help this time, but for future reference... :ike:

I have both future and humbrol clear I will definitely try that out on my next one .

Going to put the Arado to sleep until New canopy arrives (if indeed airfix have one can't check until tomorrow) .

Only problem now is which to start next thinking of going onto a vehicle prob my halftrack.