1st Gulf War Italian Tornado camouflage

Sebastien

Hi,

During first Gulf War, Italian Tornadoes were painted in a sandy yellow shade that's supposed to be FS33448.

This colour exists in the Life Color and the Xtracolor ranges. It's supposed to be a close match to Tamiya XF-60, but I find that one not yellowy enough.

I don't have access to Xtracolor and I strongly dislike Lifecolor paints (I even imagined entertaining moments featuring Lifecolor designers, a chainsaw and a spade, but we're getting a bit away from the topic at hand).

Have you got any idea how to get that colour mixing Gunze paints?

TIA,

Sebastien

On a build on an italian forum I've seen suggested a mix with 75% Tamiya XF57 and 25% Gunze H34. Not sure if mixing the two different brands may work though... personnaly I'd add a few drops of yellow to Tamiya's XF60

Edited by Giorgio N

On the Hi-Decal instruction sheet they suggest Humbrol 74 which is described as Orchid pink, but according to Humbrol is Linen. On the Model Alliance "Tornado at War" decal sheet they only suggest Xtracolor but no number. I also have the Mission Mark decal sheet for Italian Tornados and I think from the description they give the actual paint designation which is AER-M-P100e No29 Sand Yellow (approx FS 33448). Hope that this is of some help.

On the Hi-Decal instruction sheet they suggest Humbrol 74 which is described as Orchid pink, but according to Humbrol is Linen. On the Model Alliance "Tornado at War" decal sheet they only suggest Xtracolor but no number. I also have the Mission Mark decal sheet for Italian Tornados and I think from the description they give the actual paint designation which is AER-M-P100e No29 Sand Yellow (approx FS 33448). Hope that this is of some help.

That is indeed the designation of the paint used (name was Giallo Sabbia Opaco, matt yellow sand. I say was as the current version of the official list of AMI colours does not include this colour anymore). The FS approximation was part of the same official document.

With Humbrol paints, many years ago an Italian publication proposed a mix of 3 parts of H103, 1 of H93 and 1 of the old HB-16 (that could be replaced with whatever is the current equivalent).

A different magazine in those same years proposed the now OOP Humbrol HG-7. Closest today would be H94

Small detail that the OP surely already know: the lower surfaces remained in the original aluminum paint (Alluminio 32 from the current AER-M-100P document

Hi folks,

As a vast majority of pigsties would sue if they were compared to my modelling den, I have lost the instruction for Model Alliance 48174 sheet.

So if anybody here could send me a scan of said instructions...

If this is in the wrong section, please accept my apologies.

TIA,

Sebastien

I do have that set of decal instructions. Is there any particular part that you want a scan of or just the lot?

Hi Jabba,

The Italian part would be perfect.

Cheers,

S.