F4U-5 Corsair color questions

WildeSau75

Hi guys,

I ordered from a fellow modeler a kit and on top of what I ordered, he sent me a partially build 1/72 Revell F4U-5 Corsair kit. Thanks for that!

I want to build it into a overall blue Marine machine and have some questions regarding the colors.

First, what is the correct blue for this machine? Revell colors need to be mixed as per the instructions but I am sure there is a out of tin color available. Does Mr. Hobby have the right tone? If yes, could one give me the right color no?

Then coming to the wheel wells - is white correct for the whole wheel wells? Or just for the folds?

Then the inner of the engine cowling - is it blue or interior green or even something else?

TIA.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi guys,

I ordered from a fellow modeler a kit and on top of what I ordered, he sent me a partially build 1/72 Revell F4U-5 Corsair kit. Thanks for that!

I want to build it into a overall blue Marine machine and have some questions regarding the colors.

First, what is the correct blue for this machine? Revell colors need to be mixed as per the instructions but I am sure there is a out of tin color available. Does Mr. Hobby have the right tone? If yes, could one give me the right color no?

Then coming to the wheel wells - is white correct for the whole wheel wells? Or just for the folds?

Then the inner of the engine cowling - is it blue or interior green or even something else?

TIA.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi!

The -5, and most of the -5N Corsairs were in Glossy Sea Blue (GSB) Overall. All left the factory with non-specular (flat) clear lacquer or Sea Blue in front of the cockpit for use as a anti-glare panel. Wing fold joints and wheel wells, inside the gear door was also GSB. Struts and wheels could be aluminum or GSB. Tail wheel and strut was GSB but the well was Zinc Chromate primer. The cockpit was interior green, and flat black from the consoles up. The prop hub was either Aluminum, Squadron color or black.

Some Marine F4U-5Ns were painted in overall flat black with red titling and numbers. The cockpit, wheel wells, etc were as above. I hope this will help!

Bruce

Hi!

The -5, and most of the -5N Corsairs were in Glossy Sea Blue (GSB) Overall. All left the factory with non-specular (flat) clear lacquer or Sea Blue in front of the cockpit for use as a anti-glare panel. Wing fold joints and wheel wells, inside the gear door was also GSB. Struts and wheels could be aluminum or GSB. Tail wheel and strut was GSB but the well was Zinc Chromate primer. The cockpit was interior green, and flat black from the consoles up. The prop hub was either Aluminum, Squadron color or black.

Some Marine F4U-5Ns were painted in overall flat black with red titling and numbers. The cockpit, wheel wells, etc were as above. I hope this will help!

Bruce

Hi Bruce, thanks a lot. That is a very detailed reply.

What I not understand is why this machine shows white wheels, wheel wells http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/don_busack/f4u-5n/images/f4u-5n_03_of_14.jpg

So can that be different per machine?

Sorry but that confuses me a bit...

Cheers,

Michael

The aircraft shown in that link is a modern restoration in flight conditions. It was delivered in 1957 to Argentina and then bought in 1991 by a Texas based collector.

I would not trust the colours used for the interiors in modern warbirds, some restorations may be accurate in this aspect but most are not

Edited by Giorgio N

The correct overall colour is Sea Blue Gloss. I've no doubt that all colour ranges have this.

However, this posting should not be in WWII, and the -5 was entirely a postwar version.

Hi Graham, thanks for your reply and making me aware of having posted in the wrong forum. Of course, you are right. Since I don't know how to change the post with all comments, I will let it here.

Cheers,

Michael

The aircraft shown in that link is a modern restoration in flight conditions. It was delivered in 1957 to Argentina and then bought in 1991 by a Texas based collector.

I would not trust the colours used for the interiors in modern warbirds, some restorations may be accurate in this aspect but most are not

I see, thanks Giorgio. Since I think that the white looks quite okay, I will paint my model accordingly. Let's call it a model of a modern warbird :-).

Cheers,

Michael

• 1 month later...