Need help - Gunther Migge Fw-190A-6 colour scheme

kpc7676

Hi all,

Have posted this on another forum with no real answers.

I am aiming on modelling the second aircraft on this sheet:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/super/ss48887.htm

I have numerous Fw-190 references and I cannot find any pics of or references to this aircraft. There are numerous pics of his A-8, but not his A-6 without radar fitted.

Any help offered will be appreciated. If I can't confirm the scheme, I am likely to go with a Kagero book scheme or that of Galland's A-6 which I have a pic of.

Thanks in advance

Funny just been doing a search for Gunter Migge and the only White 9 I can find of his is the A8-R11, which had radar and the only ref to an A6 is on that decal sheet you have. Even the link that Nick prvided shows the A8-R11 version.

I wonder if the decal sheet is incorrect?

So sorry no help at all.

Have sourced the aircraft. It is in the Fw-190 Aces of the Western Front by Osprey. Apparenty the aircraft has Neptun radar fitted so the non radar aircraft depicted on the sheet is therefore incorrect. So, it's a Kagero scheme now all the way.

• 9 years later...

Reviving yet another old thread - and looking for information to help with finishing my own 1/72 FW 190 (A8) off as Migge's bird.

I wonder if Migge flew more than one 190 A8, or had his bird touched up over time.

In comparing the following two photos, I notice a few things:

1. The top photo shows a black and white fuselage cross, with no thin black edge. The bottom photo shows what is - to my eyes - a black-and-white cross with thin black edging (I can't tell if the wing crosses have the same characteristics, respectively).

2. In the top photo, the bottom of the unit insignia touches a panel line on the cowling. In the bottom photo, there is a gap between the bottom of the unit insignia and the same panel line.

3. In the top photo, the bottom of the cowling appears to be a light colour, much like the rest of the fuselage underside. In the bottom photo, the same area appears to be a much darker tone (possibly yellow?), neatly following the lines of the cowling's lower panels. I note that most profile artworks of this aircraft show no yellow cowling panels (the chief exception being this one: https://luftwaffeinprofile.se/Fw 190 Migge.html - although interestingly, the yellow cowled aircraft in Mr Sundin's artwork is shown with the same style of markings on the aircraft in the top photo).

4. The aircraft photos in the link provided by @Nick Nichols in post #2 are claimed to be of W.Nr. 429210, even though some of the photos show a different aircraft (or possibly the same aircraft at a different time, with different markings). Mr Sundin's profile artwork indicates the aircraft is W.Nr. 171646.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A-1.NJG10-White-9-Gunth

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A-1.NJG10-White-9-Gunth

Discuss...

Edited by Blimpyboy

A better exposure below of the top photo shows pretty clearly the different color (probably yellow) under the cowl. It also shows the the fuselage cross has had the white areas on the lower portion painted out, presumably with RLM 76. Both of these items are shown in the profile below. The third photograph below was sent to me by George Morrison and shows clearly (to me anyway) that the top camouflage colors on the wings are reversed from the usual pattern.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Seawinder said:

A better exposure below of the top photo shows pretty clearly the different color (probably yellow) under the cowl. It also shows the the fuselage cross has had the white areas on the lower portion painted out, presumably with RLM 76. Both of these items are shown in the profile below.

Thanks, @Seawinder!

I must admit, I can’t really see the shade differential on the lower cowl in the better-quality photo (but if I squint hard and think about it, maybe I can). Still, I will say that I am well overdue for an eye test and, perhaps, a prescription update for my glasses…

I can sort of see how the white portion of the fuselage cross is less distinct, due to over-painting, in the photo.

Is it possible to find out how long Migge’s bird spent, in operations (including local servicings/repainting), at the unit?

That may go some way to working out the difference in markings in the two photos (assuming they’re of the same aircraft).

Edited by Blimpyboy

Those are two different aircraft in Blimpyboy's post
White 9 and White 14 IIRC (White 14 is seen in the 1st photo's background, too - you can see it more clearly here: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/focke-wulf-fw-190-ta-152-projects-variants.3603/page-7 

This is White 9 (and I somehow never believed in its "yellow" cowl.17d06645df851c1f7151b9cd8d42c9ad.jpg

Simon Schatz did the profile of White 9: http://www.rlm.at/cont/profil07_e.htm

• Thanks 1

Hello all,
Over on the Hyperscale, there was a discussion among jmarcp, G.R.Morrison & myself on Jan 05, 2020, called "Question on the FW-190A8/R11 aircraft !" 
Sadly, I don't know how to find this discussion on Hyperscale. Maybe someone else is better at searching? it discusses the same questions which were raised here, namely, differences in details on the machines. Back then, I didn't have a clear image of the White 9 on hand & I thought that the machine in the background was a White 11, but now it is clear that it's a White 14. In the discussion, I came to the "conclusion" that the machine shown in Blimpyboy's 2nd photo is not the same as the one in Seawinder's top (1st) image, based on the different surfaces of the airfield (but is it really a crucial detail to define the airframe!?)

4 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Hello all,
Over on the Hyperscale, there was a discussion among jmarcp, G.R.Morrison & myself on Jan 05, 2020, called "Question on the FW-190A8/R11 aircraft !" 
Sadly, I don't know how to find this discussion on Hyperscale. Maybe someone else is better at searching? it discusses the same questions which were raised here, namely, differences in details on the machines. Back then, I didn't have a clear image of the White 9 on hand & I thought that the machine in the background was a White 11, but now it is clear that it's a White 14. In the discussion, I came to the "conclusion" that the machine shown in Blimpyboy's 2nd photo is not the same as the one in Seawinder's top (1st) image, based on the different surfaces of the airfield (but is it really a crucial detail to define the airframe!?)

Here you go, Milos:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/question-on-the-fw-190a8-r11-aircraft-t511604-s10.html