ANOTHER Corsair, David? Really?

Hi Folks,

A late-breaking update from the Bureau of Aeronautics....

The F4U-1 Tail Wheel assembly is now painted.

F4U-1 Tailwheel 007 F4U-1 Tailwheel 008 F4U-1 Tailwheel 011 F4U-1 Tailwheel 012

So, is it perfect? No.

However, considering this project started back in the early 'teens, certainly good enough to consider the step finished. What *is* visible is more than enough to represent the early tail wheel configuration and it's a HUGE step closer to getting finished.

Bye for now,

-d-

• Like 9

• 2 years later...

OK, so there were some other Corsair projects in the works.... and when i wasn't paying attention, THIS Happened.

So um... yeah.

IMG_9226

El Corsair Grande, number 3.

R2800-13

This was originally slated to be a build for somebody else, but with Lee's Phantom already into its second year, i decided i've had enough of building models for other people. For now, anyway.

IMG_9227

If all goes according to plan, this bird will be in the very early "Norfolk Scheme", 4 tone camouflage pattern. From what i can surmise, most of it was probably applied directly on top of the original Sea Grey on Light Grey paint scheme.

IMG_9230

it's another opportunity to road test some suggested paint mixes found at Replikator.club as well as some suggested by Marty Sanford.

IMG_9231

So, if all goes well, this model will be done up as one of the Corsairs embarked on the infamous 1943 "What could Possibly go Wrong??" shakedown cruise of USS BUNKER HILL.

Spoiler alert: it did not go smoothly.

Many of you know when BUNKER HILL completed its transit thru the Panama Canal and docked at North Island the first of the Raised Cabin , De-Bounced F4U-1A Corsairs were standing by for VF-17 and the Birdcage Corsairs (what was left of them anyway) were quickly and quietly beached, their fates unknown.

And of course the rest is history.

IMG_9233

Wheels at this stage in the game are by Barracuda, but they may be switched out for Firestone tyres made by Eduard. We shall see....

Wheels 001

This project represents an effort to clear yet another Shelf of Doom project from the books.

Landing Gear 002

That's it for now. As Sherman Bowen would say- "So Long, and Happy Landings".

Landing Gear 001

Edited by David H
  • Like 5

Those of you who follow me regularly know i have multiple build threads running simultaneously, and progress can be often sporadic.

Having said that, progress does occur.

It's been years since i built my last 32 scale Corsair and honestly, i don't remember what i used to paint the last propeller.

I think i'd been using pretty much a straight black, but since i used Tamiya Nato Black on a lot of my cockpits, i thought i'd try it on my propeller.

It did not go as well as i'd hoped.

Simply put, the greenish aspect was too visible and the propeller started to look as if it were painted in Engine Grey, rather than a scale black.

To that end, i wanted to darken the colour, but still make it different enough that the application of Roy's Secret Sauce would still be visible.

So, this is what i came up with:

Propeller 001

...I also wanted to make the blade tips less lemony yellow, so i substituted RAF Roundel Yellow, using the guidance i found on Replikator.club.

Next step will be adding the Ham Standard logos and the specs stencils...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And then just like that..... i had another Corsair Grande, ready for primer.

Silver 001

The silver on the wing roots is Mr Color C-8 Silver, with a coat of Mr Super Clear GX-112 UVCut applied on top.

Silver 002

I'm gonna re attempt depicting the exposed metal beneath the yellow zinc chromate primer and the semigloss sea blue, but much more restrained and discreet, focused more towards the leading edges of the wings...

Silver 003 Silver 004

Once the model gets the cockpit area masked off, i'll shoot it with some primer, whereupon i will probably find more areas that i missed, LOL...

Silver 005

We will keep you abreast of the latest developments, as events unfold....

• Like 3