Captured Lancaster's

justplanecrazy

Saw this on the new releases on the Hannants web site

KORD72214.jpg

Can anyone fill me in on the provenance of such schemes or are they 'WIF'?

Nick

Edited by justplanecrazy

I saw those on the Hannants website too and cannot prove the provenance of these particular Lancs but it was well known that the Germans flew some Lancs and there were often reports from RAF Bomber Crews of enemy Lancs flying amongst the bomber stream,....which if true must have been a very dangerous occupation for a Luftwaffe crew, what with flak and night fighters and the fact that they were in a British aircraft!

Cheers

Tony O

Hi

only description i have seen is written in lerche's book and pnly photo i recall was an aerial photo recce one in a magazine, apart from the crash ones in raf markings,

but the decals look good, I might get myself a set,

jerry

W4842- 106 Sqn- recorded missing on raid to Essen 27/28.5.43

ND396- 550 Sqn- recoded missing on raid to Berlin 30/31.1.44

If this helps

Cheers

Tony O

According to my info

ND396 was on the books of 550sq and failed to return from a raid on 31 Jan 1944

W4842 ZN-H was on the books of 106sq and came down at Lakerpolder in Kagerplassen near Warmond in Holland whilst on a raid to Essen. Date was 28 May 1943

I have found a picture of W4842 on its belly in a Dutch dyke, the act of getting her airborne again would have been a feat of engineering, but we all know that the Germans are very good engineers!

I am still a little suspicious as there are so many photos of other Allied aircraft at Rechlin, but as folks have said only anecdotal evidence of Lancs. I am a fan of Lanc nose art so will be tempted to get this set for W4842 pre capture.

Nick