Blog post: Chosing the correct wingpattern for a Bf109G-6

Cpt_Farrel

I written up some info on the various factories that manufactured the Bf109G-6 including profiles and topviews showing their distinguishing features and camouflage patterns to help modellers chose a correct one for their model. Many model companies are getting this wrong in their instructions. Hopefully this post will be helpful for those wanting to make an accurate Bf109G-6!

Edited by Cpt_Farrel
  • Like 2

Very nice done profiles, like it.

But if you sit down and go true the Prien jagdgeschwader and jagdflieger verbande, etc books, you will find that there are more schemes than the 3 you profiles, but then they are also some of the most common.

I have done on the "Emil", this is not as professional as yours but give a idea.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69584-bf-109e-upper-surface-camouflage-pattern/?hl=touvdal

Cheers

Jes

I

That is pretty neat looking stuff, maybe a link from your post would be a good idea though I did find my way from your profile OK. This sort of thing really does go a long way toward demystifying Luftwaffe camo. :thumbsup:

Steve.

If you have seen any other factory schemes on G-6's I would like to see them, I realise Erla did change the style of wing camouflage in later batches and colours may include RLM77 but these 3 are pretty much it for the G-6 AFAIK

There's always bound to be deviances from the standards, but these schemes are the basic three that were used. Even in Priens book there are some captions that are wrong regarding the W.Nr which can muddle the issue.

Yellow 1 from 9./JG54 is one such example, there are two entries in the losslists for that one but with different W.Nrs. Prien picked the wrong one judging from the camouflage...

I'll edit the original post with a better link later.