Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Cpt_Farrel

Members
  • Content Count

    65
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

80 Good

About Cpt_Farrel

  • Rank
    New Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.se/

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Sweden

Recent Profile Visitors

253 profile views
  1. I don't find the color description that bad, the khaki mottles would be RLM 02 which isn't really a bad description especially given the contrasting greys. The fuselage cross would have been RLM 70 given the time and Erla manufacture. The JG301 fuselage band may well have been brownish red or rust red as I recall from some where.
  2. Cool build! Nice to see such a creative yet plausible What if build. It's looking really good. Regarding fine work with AK interactive colors, I thinned them heavily with Tamiya acrylic thinner with good results. / Anders
  3. At least some of them seems to be from Classic Publications Jagdwaffe series. I recognise some of the others as well but I can't recall where they're from.
  4. Yes, very interesting! Thanks for sharing! / Anders
  5. Here's a build I did using Xtracrylix XA1136 Light Compass Grey for RLM 77. It's the light grey on the wings. I thought it worked out nicely. I bet there's a similar colour in the Xtracolour range if you want to avoid acrylics. http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1358804947/
  6. Regarding the Crashed enemy aircraft reports, while there's no doubt in my mind that grey colors were tested during the Battle of Britain there's at least one confirmed incident were colors described as grey in such a report were found post war to have been a regular 02/71 scheme. The reports do add another part of the puzzle but can't be relied upon without additional background info.
  7. The Bf109 in the period colour photo seems to me to have been a repainted aircraft originally delivered in the early 70/71 scheme. Look at the spine, the contrast is much lower than on the wings so I'm thinking that they just added RLM 65 up the sides of the original low demarcation 70/71 scheme. The wings seems to have been properly repainted with RLM 02 and 71 though. Nothing is certain but that's how I would've painted a model of that particular aircraft. / Anders
  8. That's a nice build! I remember trying something similar as a kid in the early nineties. I had a book on building Battle of Britain aircraft and all the work needed to make the airfix Defiant a bit more accurate was outlined including attaching a new nose from a Spitfire model. I was very proud of my achievement once it was finished. Thanks for the memories! :-) Yours turned out very nice. /Anders
  9. Oh, a revival of the thread! Thanks again for all your inspiring comments!
  10. Thanks all! What an amazing response! I'm truly grateful for all these encouraging words!
  11. As promised when I posted my Bf109E, my next model would be a British aircraft! This is my Hasegawa 1/48 Hurricane Mk I built almost OOTB. I found the build quite trouble free and a lot easier than dealing with the Italeri kit. I didn't like the line from the windscreen to the spinner as it looked to straight to me. I sanded it down some and replaced the nose bulges that had to go when I tried to fix the shape. The shape problem seems to be most visible with the De Havilland spinner that I used, I checked my second kit and with the Rotol spinner on, especially with the oil collector ring, the shape does look better. The model is painted with Vallejo and Tamiya for the black and white, Games Workshop Mithril silver and then Xtracrylix Dark Green and Dark Earth. I really liked the look of the Xtracrylix colors. I faded the dark green with Tamiya RLM Grey and the Dark Earth with Tamiya Buff. Additional weathering was done by post shading and silver pencil. I also used Tamiya Buff to simulate the light staining from the exhaust and I think it worked nicely. Decals are mainly Aviaeology but the code letters are from xtradecal. I used Italeri decals for the under wing roundels. This aircraft has been captioned differently in various publications but given the combination of markings the most likely timeframe would be the last weeks of May of early June 1940. Still a fitting aircraft to post given the date! /Anders PS Thanks to AndyL and Troy Smith for the great links at the beginning of this project! DS
  12. I've built the Italeri Hurricane and I'm just finishing one from Hasegawa, both have some accuracy issues but both certainly looks like Hurricanes to me. The difference is that I'm itching to build more Hasegawa Hurricanes but I'm done with Italeri. Hasegawa made for a much more trouble free build. There's something wrong with the shape of the Hasegawa nose that to me seems most visible when using their dehavilland spinner. With the Rotol spinner on it seems less noticeable. /Anders
  13. That turned out really great! Impressive attention to detail with the paint work!
  14. Thank you! The grass is Heki wild grass. There's other brands around too these days, can't recall the name though. These mats are not like the large rolls with paper backing but smaller, with higher grass but lacking backing material so they need to be glued onto a base plate with suitable color. /Anders
  15. Thanks! Yes, next build, I will still not be British but at least the subject will. :-) Doing a Hasegawa Hurricane right now... Thanks for all the encouragement! /Anders
×
×
  • Create New...