Paints in the Cold

Pagey

Strange Question, Just got a new workshop in a shed in our garden. I have insulated it a little bit, however, how would the cold of winter affect acrylic paints (mainly tamiya and Vallejo) or is it worth keeping them in the house?

Worth keeping them in the house during winter. Freezing or near freezing can adversely affect the paints.

Not with those paints you mention, but other acrylicsI have I discovered near freezing caused a seperation of the water from the pigments and they wouldn't mix together again. All paints kept inside flat now over winter.

Providing they don't freeze Vallejo is fine in the cold, they will just need a lot of mixing and maybe cutting with a tiny drop of pure water if they are out there for a while. My stash of model air lives in the garage, and 3 years on its still fine with all the great Vallejo properties!

Thanks both. To be honest, we live in a centuries old house which does get very very cold if not near freezing some nights and the paints haven't been affect before. If i do keep them in the shed I might make up an insulated box for them (the paints will probably be warmer than my family and I this winter!!!)

I asked this question sometime ago,the general opinion was not to store them in a shed a unless there is some form of background heating.I've certainly had household paints "go off" when subjected to very low temps.

Link to previous thread........

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945048-arcrylic-paint-is-it-effected-by-low-tremperatures/

Regards,

Malcolm