Jocksters Tamiya 1/350 Prince of Wales

Jockster

Hi folks,

Now that I'm here, I may as well show you what I'm made of so I am just starting my PoW build and now is a good time to share.

No piccies just yet but give me a couple of days to figure out how.

So far all I've been doing is sanding and scraping mould lines off the various parts and drilling out the portholes, so I won't bore you with that at the moment. I have been collecting bits for it though and have so far received a Hunter wood deck which is extremely thin and seems to fit the bits it's supposed to. The deck also came with a length of fine anchor chain and a small fret of etched brass cable reels and fairleads. So far so good!

I got myself a set of RB 14" barrels, turned aluminium, again, very nicely done, but the thing that has totally blown me away is the Sea Master stuff!

The 5.25" secondary barrels are very nice but it is the set of 20 Oerlikon cannons that take your breath away. Consisting of 6 pieces per gun, you have a turned brass pedestal, etched brass shield, shield mount, gun carriage and pedestal handwheel, and the most amazing gun barrel I have ever seen, it looks like a piece of wire but on close-up viewing you can see a nicely turned barrel-spring-breech assembly with, get this, a drilled out muzzle!!!!! In 1/350 scale?!!!!! Guess what I'm going to make tonight then.......

I have also ordered the Ultimate KGV set from White Ensign which should be here at the end of the week and the 5 camo colours for the hull from their colourcoats range, although those are on back order at the minute.

I think I'll wait till I get the WEM brass before posting any pics, that gives me a couple of days to put some worthwhile stuff together.

Watch this space! Jockster.

Do not wish to burst your bubble on this build my friend.

But a little advice before you start.

Get it all together first, that is ship and extra's.

You will find that that and a good reference book will set you to makeing a good model of your ship.

I am building KGV and only the rigging is wanted to finish.

I would build for your first one a full hull.

But thats my advice :popcorn: ,Will be watching with Interest and if you need any advice, there are plenty here you can turn to.

Good luck.

Thanks for the offer Foxy, will no doubt take you up on that. I got myself a copy of Roger Chesneau KGV V class ships which seems to have a lot of good info so far!

I don't want to get too far ahead till I get a good look at the WEM brasswork so it' just basic parts clean-up for now!

I' almost finished my first ship build which is the Zvezda Varyag so that takes precedence! That should be finished next week!

Jockster.

This is for all the American modellers out there who still have the ability to log in, our hearts and minds go out to you, we know bad weather here in the U.K. but Hurricane Sandy is truly devastating. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. Jockster.

Still waiting for the brass from WEM, so in the meantime I'm still scraping the mould lines from everything, I have fitted the new 14" barrels and will be doing the 5.25"ers tonight and maybe doing a bit of shading to some of the planks on the wood deck.

I also built one of the 'Master' oerlikons last night, beautiful piece but incredibly fiddly and fragile, 'Master' include a second fret of the etched brass to cover breakages, which is great of them because I broke one of the tiny shoulder rests of this one! I have only 7 to build for the Prince of Wales but 49 to build for the Missouri when I do that!

And to think, this is my hobby and I enjoy it?! Jockster.

I second your comments about the 20mm's. I had to build 10 of um for a Rudderow class DE in 1946 configuration, and I swear never again. I'm building the same (USS Parle DE708) in 1962 configuration and thankfully, by that time the 20's were long gone.

Bob

I'm a glutton for punishment Bob, so I'll persevere, I think they did their drawings the wrong way round too, folding the gun cradle their way has the sights coming from the r/h side and the magazine from the l/h side which I think is the mirror of what it should be! Thoughts anyone? Jockster.

P.s. I will not be using the 1/350 'Nell and Betty' from the kit, so if anyone has a use for them let me know and I will send them to you! Includes decals for Genzan and Mihoro Air Groups. UK modelers only due to postage, sorry! Jockster.

Ok gents, still waiting for the brass kit so I've been playing with some of the other bits. I mentioned in the tags for this build that the 5.25" gun barrels were from 'Master' but they were actually from 'RB' same as the mains!

Anyway all the main and secondary barrels have been replaced with aluminium and brass turned items, then I thought I'd have a little play with the 'Hunter' wood decks. The after deck section fits perfectly with all the cut-outs matching the plastic moldings exactly. However, the fore deck section is a slightly different story where some minor surgery is required. Hunter have laser etched a 0.5mm border around some of the holes on their decks, nice and neat, but on the fore deck they have placed the border inside the 'cut' line and cut the holes to that smaller measurement. I.e. the foremost turret base has a 36.5mm diameter so the hole should be that size with the border reaching 37.5mm diameter. They have mistakenly measured the border at 35.5mm and cut the hole to that size so I had to run my scalpel round the 0.5mm border to make the hole big enough.

I have pictures of all the above, I just have to get them from my computer onto my post. I'm going to have a look at sorting that now so hopefully you'll have something to look at in a few minutes.

Jockster.

8151671424_8b4c73e6f3.jpg

Dryfitting some of the aft parts against both plastic and wood decks.

8151675566_25d538d5ca.jpg

8151658107_17485b8e08.jpg

Tamiya versus RB

8151655455_a1e2c6fd6c.jpg

Tamiya versus Master

Some pictures for you, the last one shows the trimming of the 'Hunter' fore deck, I hope that this better explains what I was bangin on about!

Jockster.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by Jockster

Edited for you. You might be better off getting a photobucket account, makes things a lot easier. But if you look at the edited text you should see what is required. Not sure what happend to the last pic though.

• Like 1

You can edit your own posts if you click on the edit tag on the bottom right hand side near the Multiquote tag. Then you can see the format needed for your pictures.

If you don't mind sparing me a couple of minutes Dave, I have opened a photobucket account and uploaded some pics, how do I get them on screen as you did with my other ones?

Jockster.

PoW010.jpg

Let's see if this works! Woohoo, thanks Dave!

Well folks this is the trimming that had to be done to the deck!

I need a drink now!

Jockster

Edited by Jockster

Due to my frustration with posting pics, big thanks to Dave and Iain, I forgot to add some tips about the 'Hunter' deck which may help anyone who buys one for this kit!

1) Don't glue the 3 sections of plastic deck into the hull until you line them up with the wood, the wooden deck has been nicely designed so that it covers up the plastic joins, so if there are any gaps or tight fits, they need to match the wood.

2) The wood is so thin that, as you can see in the dryfit pic, any paint marks etc. on the plastic deck could show up as bruises underneath, I like the greyness showing through from the plastic, seems to add some age to the wood so I'll keep the plastic bare.

3)Scrape as much of the molded plank detail of the plastic deck as you can, the smoother it is, the better the bond between the two layers.

4) Make sure that you remove the molded cable reels from the decks, there are no cut-outs for them in the wood, there are positions marked for the placing of the etched reels provided in the 'Hunter' kit.

5)I've covered the fit issue on the foredeck but there is also a minor bit on the portside of the aft wood deck where it butts against the catapult, two tiny little cut-outs are missing nearest the deck edge which should match the stbd side, no biggie but easier if you fix it before sticking the deck down.

6) last but not least, keep the backing sheet from the adhesive side of the deck, it will provide you with an exact mask to protect the deck during the rest of your build.

Hope this helps someone.

Jockster.

Looking good Matey.

Nice Idea's for the wood deck.

Having used thease and some, I would not do another ship without them, they save you so much time, and they can be weathered with no problem.

Watching with Interest. :goodjob::poppy:

Thanks gentlemen, in particular to Greased Lightning, my sentiments exactly, I actually felt insulted when I saw them in the kit which is why the offer is there for anyone who has a use for them cos I certainly don't!

I have now scraped the decks smooth and have given those areas a wipe with a polishing sponge, now all I need is the brass from WEM which still hasn't arrived, so the only thing I can do at the moment is sand the hull ready for priming with Halfords grey acrylic primer. I have already sanded the props and fitted new brass tube shafts. I'll post pics of primed and unprimed when that's done. Only a little bit of super glue was used to fill the join between hull and prop shaft supports and a little bit of sanding on the rudder where it's tight against the keel.

Wish I'd thought of the wood deck when I was doing the 'Varyag'! :banghead:

Thanks for watching, Jockster.

• Like 1