Any consideration given to an A-4L conversion for Airfix kit?

JMChladek

I was thinking about only emailing Colin with this one, but I thought I might pose the question openly given it is a UK based company (and I'm a Yank as opposed to a Brit, so it would cater more to your market then mine). I recently acquired Colin's A-4C conversion set and I love what I see. I'm using it right now to do a Navy A-4C while using the Argentinean parts to accurize an A-4P I am building at the same time. But, I recently got the bug to build an A-4L after seeing pictures of a pair of recently reconditioned birds being operated by a private firm called Draken International. Pictures of them can be found here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=253302

So I acquired another Airfix kit and started looking for a spine to scrounge. Things are a bit scarce out there though as it seems the only separately molded fuselage spines are in the Hasegawa A-4E/F kit and the Esci A-4E/F Aggressor kit (and it is ONLY in the aggressor kit since the A-4E/F kit with weapons and drop tanks does NOT have it). Italeri's kit has the spine molded to the fuselage halves. I have no idea what the Kangnam kit has and who knows what Hobby Boss is doing with their kit.

So I'm thinking there perhaps might be a market for A-4L parts. Pairing up the A-4C nose with a new spine and the 300 gal drop tanks I think would do it, although some RWR bulges for the nose and tail wouldn't be a bad idea either for US Navy birds. Malaysia's jets were A-4Ls (and I believe the two Draken birds are using Malaysian parts), so such a set would benefit modelers of those jets as well.

So, any thoughts?

The fuselage spine was also present in this Ertl era box of the Esci A-4:

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/popular?g2_albumId=4819&g2_itemId=200663

Said that, I agree that an A-4L conversion would be nice, as aircrafts of this version have worn some very interesting markings and have soldiered in in service well into the '70s

If you count Malaysia's A-4s, they operated for longer than that even.

I appreciate that TPS, but I managed to get ahold of an Esci A-4 with the spine. So I am good for this build at least. I'm just thinking ahead in the future to other potential modelers who might have similar needs and desires.

My understanding is that Malaysian aircrafts also had several other modifications, there's a very nice build in the WIP section of the forum explaining these. Maybe a set dedicated to the malaysian aircrafts would raise some interest ?

• Like 1

Not a problem Colin. You don't necessarily HAVE TO drop everything else to do an A-4L set right this instant. But I am glad to hear more stuff will be done for Airfix's Skyhawk though. It just has to find its way into the queue.