92 Squadron F2A

A few pics of another on/off refurb project. It will be finished in 92 markings again but in the bare metal scheme and blue fin. The idea being that I hope to complete a trio of models as a reminder of my ATC camp to RAF Bruggen in 1970. It will sit alongside my Wessex shown here a while ago and a 14 Squadron Phantom(Some late WIP photos to come of this too).

As you can see the model has somewhat 'weathered' and did have a repaint over the same green and around the decals. I have the canopy and odd parts that have come off safely stored.

IMG_0350.jpg

Even though it was finished as a 19 Squadron F2A as seen here it will be 're assigned'

IMG_0352.jpg

As too, this one which will eventually go to 19!! A bit of a swap around as long as I don't have too much bother removing/stripping the paint of as this one....

IMG_0355.jpg

MR Muscle attempting to do its stuff. A lot of did come off and I also tried that Tesco stuff but was taking an age. Maybe I should let it work for a lot longer period and will do so on the other one.

Edited by Paul J

Paul

Gotta love a Lightning! What's the base kit?

I've found Mr Muscle will do it's stuff, even on very old paint but can take a while and a few applications. Perhaps put it in a sealed plastic bag for a few hours to concentrate the effect?

Watching with interest

Chris

A couple more photos of progress with my F2A refurb.

Picture056.jpg

Picture057.jpg

The model was from the FROG boxing of the Hasegawa kit. Firestreaks were from the Airfix F1 as seen on the next one here, to be reworked sometime.

Picture059.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Edited by Paul J

Cool, could the FROG be built as an F.2A?

I'm still doing my Hase F.6 which will get more attention when the Meteor T.7 is done.

Quite easy really. Fill the overwing tank holes on wing tops, cut back the cable ducting to match F1 and F2 lengths and add cannon ports to the nose on top and if wanted to lower nose as some had them there as well. There may well be different small panels etc here and there but in 72nd, does it matter?? Oh and fit Firestreaks and NOT Red tops!! Simples!

Edited by Paul J

A couple more pictures of the Lightning refurb. Reassembled and primed highlighting where attention was needed. Not sure whats goiung to happen in the cockpi, but most likely just get a new seat as little will be seen anyway.

Picture070.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Done a fair bit of rescribing to it while it was in its stripped stae and remedial filling. The cannon ports and reduced length cable duct were done when I first made the model back in 1973! Maybe by next year, its 40th year, it'll be ready!!??

• 3 weeks later...

Picture094.jpg

The intake ring needs another look at as the blending hasn't gone too well.

Picture093.jpg

A couple of progress pics of my Lightning F2A. On its wheels now with an arrestor hook to be added, which was missing originally, a new seat to be fitted and a pair of decent Firestreaks probably from the Trumpy kits. Ultimate finish I've decided on will be a 19 Squadron example. Having looked at the decal bank I have, nearly all aftermarket ones, especially Xtradecal only do 92 squadron! Why 19 has been omitted I don't know but the Modeldecal set from which my 14 Sqn. Phantom was produced, has the ones I need. And the Trumpy offerings are all under scale which leads me onto another one that will be to 1/100 from the Tamiya kit. The undersized Trumpeter decals, or at least some of them may well fit the bill for an alternative from the Tamiya kit ones. But they will need to be measured up to see first.

Edited by Paul J

More progress with the F.2A. Decided to go back to finishing it as a 19 Squadron example. Pictures below show progess and a start on decalling.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

The decals are a mix of Modeldecal for the fin badge(yet to be applied) and nose checks and Xtradecal for most of the stencilling, roundels and serials still yet to be applied.

I chose 19 as very few decal sets include lightning F2/F2As for this squadron in the bare metal finish. They all seem to have gone for the green coloured ones! The checks here are from the same set my 14 Sqn Phantom was from.

The nose ring wasn't quite up to expectations as seen in previous photos, so I masked around it and sanded it down. Then I found some self adheive backed chrome foil that someone here sent me, sorry but forgotten who but wish to thank him for it regardless, as it solved two problems in one go! One I didn't need to respray it and two, itmade the job far easier resulting in a good finish.

Edited by Paul J

• 3 weeks later...