Tornado IDS configs

Angels49

Was/is it possible for a GR1 to go on a sortie with a chaff/flare disp on one pylon and a US type ECM pod in lieu of the sky shadow as provided with the Revell kit. IIRC at the beginning of ODS Tornados flew missions with Buccaneers (Bricks) carrying laser designators to illuminate the targets for them. If ya ain't figured it out yet I'm catching the dickens trying to get the proper ord countermeasures on an old kit for which the chance of getting AM stuff is slim and none and slim is on a lorry headed out of town. The chances of getting a proper RAF Tornado is on that same vehicle. Why is it the kits I'd like to do are listed among the rare and hard to find :S

Edited by Angels49

Was/is it possible for a GR1 to go on a sortie with a chaff/flare disp on on pylon and a US type ECM pod in lieu of the sky shadow as provided with the Revell kit. IIRC at the beginning of ODS Tornados flew missions with Buccaneers (Bricks) carrying laser designators to illuminate the targets for them. If ya ain't figured it out yet I'm catching the dickens trying to get the proper ord countermeasures on an old kit for which the chance of getting AM stuff is slim and none and slim is on a lorry headed out of town. The chances of getting a proper RAF Tornado is on that same vehicle. Why is it the kits I'd like to do are listed among the rare and hard to find :S

Hi Angels49,

What scale are you building? Is it the 48th jobbie or the big boy 32nd?

Regards

Dan

Was/is it possible for a GR1 to go on a sortie with a chaff/flare disp on on pylon and a US type ECM pod in lieu of the sky shadow as provided with the Revell kit.

Cliff,

I'm afraid not, as far as I know RAF GR1's and GR4's have only carried Sky Shadow (on port outer pylon) and Boz 107 (on stbd outer pylon) during combat missions. I'm not sure if the Sky Shadow is included in the 1/32 Flightpath set for Tornado. It should be relatively simple to construct a Sky Shadow from 2 1000 lb dumb bombs and some plastic card if you can't source one. That's what I used in my (stalled for 3 years :fraidnot: ) "Mig Eater" 1/48 GR1 build.

HTH,

Ian

Edited by Notdoneyet

RAF Tornado GR1/4a's can only carry BOZ107 on Starboard & S/Shadow pod on Port as the plyons are only wired for the respective pod.The BOZ107 is a combined Chaff & Flare launcher,the flare pack is fitted into the rear of the pod (these are not usually loaded for day to day training) & the Chaff is ejected from the retractable steel collar just behind the fins.

RAF Tornado's cannot carry other countries ECM kit ect for the reasons below.As to the Buccs lasing the targets on Granby,It's because we only had two TIALD pods,(Shaz & Tracy after The Fat Slags) as they were still being made in the Edinburgh Biscuit Factory when Saddam kicked off.

RAF Tornado weapon system is completely different than those used by other nations & therefore the ERU's fitted ar different also.Up until Granby in 1990/91,the centerline pylon was'nt fitted & the center HDRU fitted to the center of the shoulder pylons was only for Nuclear or ferry tanks.

Also on the shoulder pylons the are fairings fitted over the crutching pads on the ERU's.

As for dropping LGB's over Scotland,I dont think they do much of it due to the proximity of farms ect & also the high cost of the seeker kit.

Your more likely to find 4X1000Lb bombs with retard tails.

I have a sticky of Tornado pictures I have collected of the web & mine as well.

Merv (Ex-RAF Tornado Armourer)

Edited by spike7451

Hi Angels49,

What scale are you building? Is it the 48th jobbie or the big boy 32nd?

Regards

Dan

Da Big Boy......and its got me pulling me hair out...err...what hair there is left :analintruder::rolleyes: