If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Olivier de St Raph

Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

The  Eduard PE sliding canopy rail is much too thin. 2 more docs showing that and some other details:

Doc. 89: 

1- As I said above, the Eduard PE must be thickened

2- This black joint is missing on some of the docs I saw (6, 18 and 90 below), while it seems to be present on other ones (24, 33). I wonder if it must be represented...

hQmh6F.jpg

Doc. 90:

1- we can see rivets (on the doc. 89 too..) here, to add.

2- In the hollows of the rail, the color is IG, the rest is to paint, as I said above, alu mat.

DnNnYd.png

In photo 89 number 1 would be the canopy rail and number 2 looks like some sort of weather seal. I would say that this aircraft is a restored warbird as the starboard wall is non standard and the stick grip looks like it came from an early jet.

John

Edited by Biggles87

Hi Olivier, some pics of that area, in the last picture with pilot Don blakeslee can be seen "no step" written on the eddge of the sliding canopy rail.

cheers

ol4.jpg

ol.jpg

ol2.jpg

ol3.jpg

ol5.jpg

blakesse.jpg

Edited by antonio argudo

Thanks a lot, Antonio for your docs.

Indeed, on this doc, we can read "no step" and there seems to be a thin joint (rubber?). 

7AnuM5.jpg

But I must admit I still wonder what I should represent:  indeed, in some pics, there seems to be nothing:

635Z8v.jpg

while there seems to be a metal squarre shape sliding rail on other ones:

HcrkKN.jpg

... and a rubber rounded shape on other ones, especially the John England Missouri Armada:

Q87Bun.jpg

lgmRnX.jpg

In front of such contradictory docs, and because I am building the Missouri Armada, I will choose the weather seal option.

I have begun to scratchbuild the portion that will thicken the too thin PE part, using 0,5 mm x 0,5 mm squarre section Evergreen:

4ON13h.jpg

RPzuGP.jpg

1- The Tamiya part doesn’t take in consideration the cut for the K14 as we can see on the 5th Antonio doc above. I made this cut.

2- The same doc, and other ones, shows rivets here. I have added them.

3- Added too, the thin weather seal, black grey. 

4- I have glued in place the scratch part (pic 78) with the small holes. I have painted it alu but on the doc 24D with England, it seems to be rather dark grey, as on the doc 92. I will change that...

P.S: the more I look at this canopy rail, the more I think the Eduard holes (on the outside) are much too small. I wonder if I should not redo them completely by scratch...

I have just ordered on ebay the ref. 8203 from Evergreen: 0,56 mm x 0,84 mm rectangular strip, with the idea to replace my canopy rail, not very satisfying as I just said above. I won't get it before at least 3 weeks. Meanwhile, I will work on other aspects...

The Eduard PE was not high enough (about 0,5 mm), with consequently too small outside holes...