Beechcraft G17S Staggerwing, AMT 1/48

Artie

Evening all.......!!!

I've found an old AMT kit of this nice looking biplane, and wondered about giving it an opportunity.....

It's the original AMT boxing, yellow plastic and very old (and I think not useable) decals for a civil airplane.

I know thw kit represents a post war G17S, with different nose, but......how hard would it be to backdate it to a prewar, US Navy or USAAC example?

I know Roden offers an excellent kit (already in my stash), but there's something about these old AMT kits that caught my attention.....

TIA and best regards

g17s-staggerwing.jpg

The aircraft has a badge with four bars below a star; it is marked as 'U.S.Navy' below the tailplane.

I would suggest it is an Admirals Barge, probably with a blue fuselage and silver wings.

As to which blue is debatable, but the overwing 'stars' are prewar.

This book may be helpful:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ref/gin/book_gin_nf100.shtml

As may this:

https://issuu.com/saniyazmanas/docs/united_states_naval_aviation_1919-1941

page 233 covers the Staggerwing.

Good luck,

John

Edited by sanguin

There's some artwork here -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Beech+JB-1&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB513GB524&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=781&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-nse5y6zLAhUHyRQKHTUBCigQsAQIGw#imgrc=S3VJE5vDqFQw8M%3A

It seems to be blue forward fuselage - silver or gray rear fuselage with yellow wings.

Edited by Eric Mc

Well....after a fierce fighting against the masking tape, its residues and my patience coming to an end, I've finally stripped the Goose's wings....oven cleaner and self sealing bags have been a great help....Anyway, some paint seems to be completely adhered to the plastic (Tamiya TS30), so some sanding wil be the only way....then, new wing ribs will need to be added, and then start all over again.......

Very sad, indeed....

Best regards...

This is one that's been sitting on the "shelf of Doom" for some time. It needed quite a bit of filler on the lower fuselage, but other than that it went together pretty well.

I also have the Roden kit in the stash and it's pretty nice, too, but not leaps and bounds better (detail-wise) than the AMT kit.

This is one that's been sitting on the "shelf of Doom" for some time. It needed quite a bit of filler on the lower fuselage, but other than that it went together pretty well.

I also have the Roden kit in the stash and it's pretty nice, too, but not leaps and bounds better (detail-wise) than the AMT kit.

You're right, Don.....I find it a nice little kit. I've got the Roden kit, too......but the AMT was a gift from a friend who sady passed away, and want to give it a try.....I've started to modify the nose to make it look closer to an earlier model...not a difficult task at all.

I've parked the Grumman Goose for a while, due to some unexpected issues with the masking tape., so a few kit from the "shelf of Doom" have found their way to the bench again....

Cheers...

I'm looking forward to see how this turns out. The Staggerwing is a beautiful aircraft. Incidentally, I've just finished an AMT 1/48 Stinson Reliant, of probably the same vintage as your Staggerwing, and am still working on an AMT 1/48 Lockheed Vega. Both old, both sets of decals were unuseable. Nice kits but need extra work to put together - a little more shaping, sanding and filling.

PS - I think the Stinson has been re-released on 'Round 2 Models.'

PPS - perhaps what caught your eye was the thinness of the wing and tail trailing edges - on both my kits they are razor sharp.. Nice interiors too - just like AMT's automobile kits.

Edited by Richard B.

I'm looking forward to see how this turns out. The Staggerwing is a beautiful aircraft. Incidentally, I've just finished an AMT 1/48 Stinson Reliant, of probably the same vintage as your Staggerwing, and am still working on an AMT 1/48 Lockheed Vega. Both old, both sets of decals were unuseable. Nice kits but need extra work to put together - a little more shaping, sanding and filling.

PS - I think the Stinson has been re-released on 'Round 2 Models.'

PPS - perhaps what caught your eye was the thinness of the wing and tail trailing edges - on both my kits they are razor sharp.. Nice interiors too - just like AMT's automobile kits.

What I can't really get to understand, is how current brands haven't been able to achieve certain details and surface textures, like old ones used to do.....for example, the fabric effect on old Inpact Gladiators, Furies, etc......those guys knew how to make us happy....

Today, we can find over engineered kits wich use to need aftermarket addings to be commonly "acceptable". Old kits just need some love'n'care to give us a happy rainy evening at home.....

Some time ago, I built the Roden Gladiator strictly OOB, and must admit it was a nightmare.......On the other hand, I'm building a Pyro Gladiator wich just needs some cockpit detailing and filling some sink marks...otherwise, nothing have been wrong or have got as difficult as making me want to smash it against the wall.....

I've also built both Roden's and Pyro's Gladiators. The Roden's was difficult (the engine and cowling), but is more refined. On the otherhand, Pyro's did build faster and got me to the part i like best - the painting.

I wish there was more interest in so called Golden Age kits - Racers like the GeeBee and so on, and civil aircraft generally (hey somebody, how about a new Ford trinotor) The Stinson Reliant gullwing was a beautiful aircraft, likewise the Staggerwing. The Lockheed Vega was a beast, but very fast and revolutionary for its time (monocoque plywood fuselage).

I hear what you're saying about over-engineering (hello Hasegawa), not all of us want to win big prizes for our builds - we build for ourselves, or other like minded enthusiasts, and for the love of aviation.

Edited by Richard B.