Tamiya Harley Davidson FLH1200 Police Bike - 1:6

activexp

It was about 35 years ago when I last built a Tamiya model and I recall being delighted with the overall quality and finished result. Looking at this Harley I won't be disappointed, has 'wow' factor :) It's also my first ever motorcycle kit.

1%206%20harley_zpsl6x33qex.jpg

The box contents are impressive.

box%20contents_zpsyzfm47wc.jpg

I've made a start on the frame and engine/gearbox assemblies. All fairly straight forward although there are a number of non-glued parts to the frame which had a habit of falling out just as I was about to glue the two halves of the frame together.

frame%20engine1_zpss2uydywu.jpg

Edited by activexp
  • Like 2

Err yes, I believe so.

It was the original 70s release.

I seem to recall the only poor fitting parts were the cylinder parts but you seem to have breezed past that. :)

Edited by Mencie

No tweezers in my kit - I'm gutted :weep:

tweezers_zpssherzsli.jpg

According to 'Scalemates' the kit got new parts in '76, '81 and 2013 so hopefully any badly fitting parts have been replaced :)

A little more progress...the spring-loaded side stand fitted.

sidestand1_zps8wk9nlbd.jpg

sidestand3_zpsqdnzbego.jpg

A few more bits added to the engine and the spring-loaded brake pedal fitted. Unfortunately the mechanism is too stiff for the strength of the spring and doesn't return to the upright position when pressed :(

brake%20pedal3_zpsseejomgl.jpg

brake%20pedal2_zpsbcb6zqpu.jpg

• Like 1

The thing on top of the engine lookin' like splayed female legs is the top motor mount. There would be a stud with a 1/2 nylock on each splay if ya wanna add that detail.

Going well, I'll be watching.

When I fitted the part I thought it looked a bit 'unfinished'. Thanks for the tip :)

When I fitted the part I thought it looked a bit 'unfinished'. Thanks for the tip :)

The mount is bolted to the frame as well, with approx. a 3/4" - 1" bolt and nut with washers. The front 'splay' has a hole for the stud, the rear splay is forked (like an open end wrench) for installation.

Also the clutch cable covering terminates at a bracket on the seat post. Exposed cable then goes to the clutch arm. Google 'Harley mousetrap eliminator' you will see.

One other thing I see ,perusing my instructions for the kit , is the orientation of the rear exhaust out let. If ya look at the face of it, the boss for the mounting bolt is at 3 oclock, it should be at 12 o clock.

Again google 'shovelhead engine images' There is a fair amount of hardware missing from the model ,easy to detail out at the stage you are at. Tamiya provides convenient landings in the right place , for most of these details.

Also the overhead oil lines are missing. This is a 1/8" chrome steel line that goes from the engine case to the rear rocker box, then between the two boxes in the middle, easy to spot in pix and a prominent secondary detail.

Glad you can assimilate the help/info.

Edited by krow113

The mount is bolted to the frame as well, with approx. a 3/4" - 1" bolt and nut with washers. The front 'splay' has a hole for the stud, the rear splay is forked (like an open end wrench) for installation.

Also the clutch cable covering terminates at a bracket on the seat post. Exposed cable then goes to the clutch arm. Google 'Harley mousetrap eliminator' you will see.

One other thing I see ,perusing my instructions for the kit , is the orientation of the rear exhaust out let. If ya look at the face of it, the boss for the mounting bolt is at 3 oclock, it should be at 12 o clock.

Again google 'shovelhead engine images' There is a fair amount of hardware missing from the model ,easy to detail out at the stage you are at. Tamiya provides convenient landings in the right place , for most of these details.

Also the overhead oil lines are missing. This is a 1/8" chrome steel line that goes from the engine case to the rear rocker box, then between the two boxes in the middle, easy to spot in pix and a prominent secondary detail.

Glad you can assimilate the help/info.

That's really useful info, thanks. At the moment I'm just plodding on with the main build and am undecided whether to attempt the improvements you've pointed out as my scratch building skills are limited :weep:

That's really useful info, thanks. At the moment I'm just plodding on with the main build and am undecided whether to attempt the improvements you've pointed out as my scratch building skills are limited :weep:

No worries I have yet to go over the kit to record the additonal details possible. I'll watch and keep quiet, if ya have a question , just ask!

Front guard, oil tank and rear fender fitted.

safety%20guard1_zpshz3qthts.jpg

safety%20guard2_zpscz7b0ccj.jpg

Rear shocks with chrome plated steel covers.

shocks_zpswdwea1q1.jpg

The Goodyear tyres have excellent detail.

tyres1_zpswvwgifu8.jpg

tyres3_zpscummlbbm.jpg

tyres2_zps2mhj1b4m.jpg

Rear wheel assembly and shock fitted. Could have done with another pair of hands here as inserting the axle shaft through the various bits was a little tricky.

rear%20wheel3_zpstu3bxjo5.jpg

• Like 1

A small update today,.

Two spare spark plugs with chromed cover for the holder.

spark%20plugs1_zpscirq3zss.jpg

Assembly of the various parts for the siren had me confused as there's a shaft with knurled end that sticks out the back of it. Then it dawned on me that it's mechanical and driven from the back tyre, rather like those old lighting dynamos on bicycles.

siren3_zpsluzerjkb.jpg

• Like 1

Steve, your subject matter is all over the place. This build is lookin' great tho. Keep up the good work!!

Ah, you've noticed! Variety is the spice of life, so they say :)