Lancaster/Vulcan Flypast - BBC does it - Again!?

JohnT

I was sitting watching the news on Auntie Beeb at lunchtime munching away on my sandwich and thinking about all I had to do when up popped the news item on the flypast. Something didn't quite look right as regards the picture on the wall behind the newsreader. Over I went for a closer look and lo and behold there was a very nice photo of an early mark Halifax. Well, come on, its got four engines, turrets and is an RAF bomber from WW2 - what more do you want? They will only increase the licence fee if we ask for accuracy. Lucky they didn't stick up a B24 from the mighty 8th or a FW200 for that matter.

Seems thye got it right for the evening 6 o clock news!

Wonder how many calls they got! Def a Halifax with the big goldfish bowl upper gunners turret (Boulton Paul I think) that must have caused some drag

In fairness to the Beeb, the news item wasn't about the Lancasters/Vulcan flypast, but the cutting of the first sod on the Bomber Command Memorial in Lincolnshire, which the flypast was celebrating.......so the Halifax WAS appropriate; more so than the Vulcan...... :shrug:

• Like 1