Resin Bubbles FAQ

Mike

I've just been removing some resin bubbles in a couple of cast up engines from Bra.z models, and thought I'd share my technique with you.

Firstly, just quickly assess the size of the bubbles, and chuck a suitably sized drill bit into your pin vice. In this case, 0.75mm was suitable, so I drilled out the major bubbles.

resinbubbles1.jpg

Taking a piece of styrene rod of the same 0.75mm diameter, dip the end in CA (superglue), and insert it into the hole, making sure it bottoms out.

resinbubbles2.jpg

Give it a few seconds to cure, then chop it off close with your side-cutters.

resinbubbles3.jpg

This leaves you with a lot of little white stumps standing slightly proud from the surrounds.

resinbubbles4.jpg

When you're done filling, simply cut off any remaining stumps or CA residue with a sharp #11 blade in your scalpel. A quick buff with a sanding stick, and you're done. Certainly beats trying to choke them with filler :)

:lol: thanks Sean... it took me a while to think of it, but I got there in the end. The best part is that it's not even time consuming really - took me longer to take the photos & write it up than it did to do the two engines.

The other good thing is that as the styrene is a similar hardness to the resin, you don't suffer from issues when you sand it back like you would with CA alone.

As to what Soviet piece of junk those engines belong to? Go on... guess ;)

• 1 year later...