Hendrick does Hendricks 1/48 Bubbletop

Thanks once again Lampie .....all info is useful and I shall follow up on it ...the Howard Hendricks P-38 looks a possible....I have also found a reasonable amount of info on another Hendricks for the 8th AF GB ....B-17 this time ... B)

A few gaps in between customers and it surprising what can be achieved ...basic spray done Humbrol 11 rattle can and then rubbed over with a paper towel when dry but not hard,to dull the finish down...again looking at the photos at this time,on the forward airfields in Normandy the aircraft appear not too shiny and a bit dusty,even though the bubbletops were only a few weeks old with this squadron ......

6188709517_8330e938a8_z.jpg

Regards Trevor .... :D

Thats looking lovely!

Yep, the Normandy dust certainly took its toll on those nmf airframes, and later in the year when it turned brown and sticky you see examples of P-47s with the bottom section of undercarriage fairing removed so as not to clog up with mud.

The "B-17" Hendricks would I imagine be Landon Hendricks of the 381st BG.

Have you read Combat Crew by John Comer?

Hendricks features a lot in there. Highly recommended.

Looking forward to the decals and that great fusalage artwork!

Nige

http://p47.kitmaker.net/

http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/

Edited by lampie

Thats looking lovely!

Yep, the Normandy dust certainly took its toll on those nmf airframes, and later in the year when it turned brown and sticky you see examples of P-47s with the bottom section of undercarriage fairing removed so as not to clog up with mud.

The "B-17" Hendricks would I imagine be Landon Hendricks of the 381st BG.

Have you read Combat Crew by John Comer?

Hendricks features a lot in there. Highly recommended.

Looking forward to the decals and that great fusalage artwork!

Nige

http://p47.kitmaker.net/

http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/

Thanks for the heads up on the book .....now on its way ....Amazon 1p + post ....!!

Regards Trevor ... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just about there ...decals are on including the data panels etc ...just needs a final spray to seal ...and a touch of weathering ...not a lot as this was a new plane in June 44..

and fix the canopy on and wing lights ...

6307411992_ba44c4b7b9_z.jpg

6306887885_94d5f1d1b3_z.jpg

Close up of some of the stencils ...

6307407136_665efcd647_z.jpg

Damn!!!!!!....a little too close up ...kills are out of register !!!!...well they are 2 part decals and are only 1mm high ...my excuse .. :blush:

6307404210_489905f673_z.jpg

mind you not bad close ups for an iPhone camera ...

• 1 month later...

I would just like to thank all on Britmodeller for their encouragement and helpfullness..doing this group build has helped me focus and strive to finish the project....this is one of the best forums I have been on and has helped me through a difficult time ..I had (fingers crossed) what should be my last Chemo on Monday 5th...and should find out from tests and scans in the New Year if it has all been successful ...until then ..and after ..I shall keep on posting and building ... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Seems like he was a good shot... wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near what he was aiming at eww.gif Any idea why he was nicknamed "Pinky"? smile.png

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but just wanted to answer a question.

The "Pinky" nickname originated in 1941 or 1942 during his flight training while in Texas or during his time as a flight training instructor in Louisiana (most likely in Louisiana after he'd left basic and advanced flight training at Randolph and Victoria Field) - they'd hit the showers at the end of a day in the field and the water was hotter than a 2 dollar pistol and he came out of the shower looking like a scalded lobster, so they called him "Pinky" - and it stuck.

Coincidently, while in Texas/Louisiana is where/when he met Rita Dell - after the war, he returned to Texas to marry her and they moved back to his hometown in Ohio - so at the age of 91, my mother affectionately says, "I married a Yankee and he moved me north". Unfortunately, my dad passed away in 1981 from a heart attack - but for a good portion of his life he was in and around airplanes as he loved to fly. By the way, we never called him Pinky at home - the nickname was one that was pretty much used within his circle of military friends.