What soldering iron?

_H_

Exactly what it says really. I'm looking to solder my etch stuff now and I'm really not sure what to get. Dremel do a little hobby gas iron but it's about £30 but obviously there are electric ones too?

What are you guys using and how do you find using it?

Thanks in advance

Howard

I can recommend the Weller soldering irons. They work very well and have good tips. I have used soldering irons for about 20 years now and all the cheapo ones have gone by the wayside but my 2 Wellers are still going strong. HTH.

Wayne

My weapon of choice is an Antex 25 watt. I've not found a better all round conventional iron for etch brass kit assembly. I would avoid a gas iron for detail soldering (unless sweating larger parts together) with detail soldering you only require to heat up the immediate area around the joint to be soldered. If you apply to much heat you can run into problems with expansion,or possibly unsolder other joints and in the extreme you might even anneal the metal. The Antex due to it's bit design can quickly transfer a large amount of heat to the joint that's to be soldered, you therefore can avoid dwelling with the iron on the joint and the associated problems with excessive heat transfer.

You should be able to pick up an Antex 25w for under £20

I would suggest you try to get hold of some liquid flux such as Carr's as it makes soldering so much easier.

C&L finescale stocks Carr's products from them you can also get suitable solder,I would suggest a 188.

C&L's website can be found by following this link.

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?opti...t&Itemid=56

Their website also has a PDF file that contains instructions and tips on soldering it's labelled

“Data sheet on Soldering and Solder”

Malcolm