Land Rover engine colours

Graeme

I've just started building my H-B WMIK Land Rover, and just wanted to check that the colours given for the engine block are correct - H-B say black, but 'back in the day' when I was an A-Mech in REME, all engines (for any vehicle that I worked on other than the M2B - M2B's were German-made and their engines were olive green) were duck-egg blue.

I've tried google images but pics of the engine bay don't show much more than the air intake covers on top of the rockers...

TIA

Graeme

Hello Graeme

When new the block and sump were satin black, head was plain aluminum same as the rocker cover, re-furb engines are as you say duck egg blue all over.

Here is my WIP thread with the engine in duck egg blue Clicky

HTH

Jon (current A Mech!)

Edited by ferny

• 3 months later...
Hello Graeme

When new the block and sump were satin black, head was plain aluminum same as the rocker cover, re-furb engines are as you say duck egg blue all over.

Here is my WIP thread with the engine in duck egg blue Clicky

HTH

Jon (current A Mech!)

From one A-mech to another, I just noticed your Avatar photo, and my first job after leaving the Army was rebuilding those Ford RS200's at Lord Hesketh's place in Towcester...

Graeme

From one A-mech to another, I just noticed your Avatar photo, and my first job after leaving the Army was rebuilding those Ford RS200's at Lord Hesketh's place in Towcester...

Graeme

Every one I came across it was all a greasy oily black/brown colour.....perfectly matching the stains on the concrete underneath it!

Rex

P.S. Not a Teddy in sight!

Edited by emlra

I've just started building my H-B WMIK Land Rover, and just wanted to check that the colours given for the engine block are correct - H-B say black, but 'back in the day' when I was an A-Mech in REME, all engines (for any vehicle that I worked on other than the M2B - M2B's were German-made and their engines were olive green) were duck-egg blue.

I've tried google images but pics of the engine bay don't show much more than the air intake covers on top of the rockers...

TIA

Graeme

As described by another Britmodeller, the Tdi engines had a black cylinder block with the head and rocker cover in natural aluminium. Re-built engines as spares for the MoD were sprayed overall in a light blue colour which, from my days at Land Rover, I recall as Light Admiralty Grey. This probably explains why both are seen on vehicles.