Primer help needed

GordonD

I'm trying to prime some resin parts prior to the proper painting. I've never used primer before and though I've never had any trouble with spray cans in the past, this time I'm having all kinds of problems. I'm using a can of Revell Basic Color but though I've shaken it well the paint is only coming out if I hold the can at an angle. Even then it's spurting badly and not giving an even coat on the part. The only time it's producing a smooth flow is when I turn the can upside down to clear the nozzle at the end of the painting session.

Any suggestions?

i got some hycote car primer as i ran out of halfords ages ago, tried it today for the first ever time and im impressed...cheap too. got mine off ebay

If you have some cellulose thinners,it will pay to soak the nozzle in a bath of it. Clearing the end of dried paint,and,if you have an airbrush (I know that the 2 might not go together) you can blow air back up the end of the nozzle too. All this will clear the nozzle,and provided the can has been well shaken and slightly warmed,it should spray fine.

Rattle cans are useful even if you have an a/b as they are quick drying and no clean up but the cap/nozzles on them leave a lot to be desired sometimes.

HTH

mtd

Thanks for those tips, folks. I can't see the nozzle being blocked as it's a brand new can - though one thing I've noticed is that the can doesn't rattle when I'm shaking it. I'll try putting it in a bowl of warm water to see if that helps but if not I'll try another type of primer - Enzo Matrix once recommended Halford's own brand. I see they do various types, one of which appears to be specifically for plastic bumpers and the like. Would that do the trick? Failing that, should I just go for their standard grey?

Thanks for those tips, folks. I can't see the nozzle being blocked as it's a brand new can - though one thing I've noticed is that the can doesn't rattle when I'm shaking it. I'll try putting it in a bowl of warm water to see if that helps but if not I'll try another type of primer - Enzo Matrix once recommended Halford's own brand. I see they do various types, one of which appears to be specifically for plastic bumpers and the like. Would that do the trick? Failing that, should I just go for their standard grey?

read above what i put, much cheaper than halfords, which i used for many years and this new one i tried im impressed with and much cheaper

Also,just because it is a new can doesn't mean the nozzle isn't blocked-they are mass produced and considering the fact they are disposable and fairly cheap (and pence to manufacture) the odd fault can and does get through.

Last week a I used a can of gloss white that shot the paint off at about 70 degrees from the direction I was pointing it in,and sort of dribbled out.. A micro drill through the end to remove a moulding defect and then a wash in the cellulose and it worked perfect.

hth

mtd

Well, I think I've sorted the problem. :pray: I said earlier that I wasn't hearing the rattling sound when I was shaking the can. After shaking it even harder than before I started to hear the rattle so evidently the paint wasn't mixed properly when I was trying it before. I knew that primer was denser than normal paint but hadn't realised it was that much denser. So a combination of warming the can in water beforehand and shaking the can on an industrial level should do the trick.

I'll use up this can and will look into the Halfords or Hycote brands for future projects - but will they take a topcoat of enamel paint?

Halfords plastic primer in grey or white. Excellent. Warm the can gently in some warm water.

Halfords plastic primer in grey or white. Excellent. Warm the can gently in some warm water.

but theres a new better cheaper option on the market now