1:48 OV-10A Bronco Update set

The aged Testors OV-10A Bronco kit suffers both from poor detail, and some important dimensional inaccuracies that would tax most modellers to correct. That is until Mr Neil Burkill came along and created the masters correcting all of the major issues with the kit.

box.jpg

Inside the businesslike box are two bags of nicely cast resin, another bag containing a small etched brass fret, and the major components, namely the wings and horizontal tail parts, the reason for the replacement of which becomes evident when you compare the kit wings with the resin parts, as below:

wing.jpg

tail.jpg

The sponsons containing the engines and MLG are too close to the fuselage, which on correcting means you will also need a wider new horizontal tail. Both parts are accurately detailed, with revised panel lining and a huge number of vortex generators moulded into both parts. They are simple drop in replacements, so no cutting of the kit parts required so far.

The remaining resin parts comprise the cockpit, which is woeful on the kit, instrument panesl, some appropriate lumps and bumps, exhausts and a lovely set of slightly bulged landing gear wheels. Here's where you'll have to get busy with the tools, cutting the kit nosewheel out from the moulded in stirrup and replacing it with the new one. The final resiin parts are the rear portions of the verticsl tails, which replace the kit section with accurately hinged parts that are also an awful lote finer and more in scale.

cockpit.jpg

Finally, the photo-etched fret incorporates some new landing gear doors, flare dispensers and other fine airframe parts, including mass balances for the flying surfaces and even a windscreen wiper for the canopy!

etch.jpg

Conclusion

It's a great set to update this kit, which is sadly getting harder to find, but does pop up on eBay from time to time. At a bit over £22 it represents excellent value and brings this ancient kit of an unusual subject bang up to date. Highly recommended on all fronts.

Availability

Available direct from Neil himself (contact details here), Hannants, or any other good aftermarket stockists.

Review sample courtesy:

CopyParagonLogo.jpg

Paragon also do a conversion for the OV-10D that takes these basic parts and adds a longer nose and FLIR turret. For a few more quid it's an equally good buy. The only real problem with either is that you really need to find new decals too, especially for the D model, and they're as common as rocking-horse droppings at the moment.

Mike - do you want reviews? I can do reviews!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear All,

Must admit, it took me some time to find the two kits I have.... one from UK and one from USA.

Currently doing two OV10A's...

Then learnt about the conversion, thought it was a bit steep price wise, £50 for two kits, and went on to convert the kits..... Knowing the conversion was unavailable...

God I had forgotten how awful Testors kits are...

Wings so warped I had to reinforce with Brass spars, detail so wrong, engines have driven me mad.... Let alone dimensions.

Then to discover Testors only give you one seat in a two seat aircraft...! Could have cried...! What were they thinking of..?

Done moulds, but please can any one give me seats..? All that detail under such a large canopy...

..and then there is the Testors O2...... of which I am also doing two.

These things are sent to try us..... and they have.

Colin

• 1 month later...
Dear All,

Must admit, it took me some time to find the two kits I have.... one from UK and one from USA.

Currently doing two OV10A's...

Then learnt about the conversion, thought it was a bit steep price wise, £50 for two kits, and went on to convert the kits..... Knowing the conversion was unavailable...God I had forgotten how awful Testors kits are... Wings so warped I had to reinforce with Brass spars, detail so wrong, engines have driven me mad.... Let alone dimensions. Then to discover Testors only give you one seat in a two seat aircraft...! Could have cried...! What were they thinking of..?

Done moulds, but please can any one give me seats..? All that detail under such a large canopy...

..and then there is the Testors O2...... of which I am also doing two.

These things are sent to try us..... and they have.Colin

Colin, just to set things straight, the Testors "kit" is a re-pop of a old Hawk kit that came out about the time I did (!) ~ 1962. I suspect that it is actually the prototype data that was used to cut the molds. Granted, Testors could have sunk serious funds into upgrading the old Hawk molds, but that would mean basically redoing everything (unlike the Hawk U-2 kit, which took relatively little investment to turn from an "A" to a "C".) Testors is (and I mean no disrespect) not really so much a plastic model kit company as a marketing company (IMHO.) Given this caveat, please don't heap undeserved blame on Testors - just be glad you have even a reasonable starting point and now some current resin to use as a shortcut to accuracy - or just use it as a challenge of your personal modeling skills. If not for Testors, I doubt we would have a 1:48 SR-71, TR-1A, C-130 Hercules or a 1:72 B-2. Sure, they are all tough builds, but can be really grand once mastered.

Regarding decals for the Bronco, Google for "Fireball Modelworks" for an excellent US Navy (Vietnam) markings sheet, among other goodies. The have been, over the years, sheets released by Cutting Edge & Superscale (to mention two) that may yet be found, though the kit decals are, per usual Testors' practice, nice enough for what is offered.

Without a doubt, the OV-10 is probably overdue for a modern mold but it is pretty obscure and not much to excite an accountant (unless he/she happens to be a modeller!) For the interim, I am just happy I can take two kits and make one decent replica (one method) or exercise my scratchbuilding skills to "convert" the OV-10 into an OV-10A or OV-10D. Life is full of challenges - embrace your inner master modeler! That is why it is called "modelling" not "kit assembling"...

Regards,

Robert

Edited by rbeach84