Matchbox 1/72 Phantom

Davec_24

think the problem with the shallowness of the canopies (if I remember correctly) is that Matchbox molded the canopy frames as part of the aircraft... This led one to think that the canopies were too shallow if you displayed the canopies open...

There may be some truth in this, as there are panel lines on the model roughly where you would expect the canopy framing to end. When I've got the basic colours on and they are suitably dry, I'll have a test-fit. It may be the case that they won't look too stupid so long as I leave the canopy lines off the opening sections. If it does look shallow in such a way that either the profile is wrong, or it even looks bad with no lines painted, then I'll try posing the canopies open.

Sorry baldrick, it's already started now ;) Besides, some pieces had fallen off the sprue and so it wasn't as "mint" as a hard-core collector might like (though to be honest apart from that it really was in good nick, even the transfers look as new).

Some more progress was made last night and today. All the main colours are on, but there is some touching up to do, particularly where I have left fingerprints on my nice white underside - had to happen sometime I suppose. :( I have also added some darker panels to the metallic area of the tail, and have continued the leading edge wrapround of the grey to include the tips of the wings and tailplanes, as well as continuing onto the metallic portion of the tailplane's leading edge.

3194492669_e1308bbd1a_b.jpg

3194492665_75d42e0b9c_b.jpg

I am quite pleased with how the white has come out, the black around the panel lines showing through to slightly disrupt the colour. At the moment this looks quite stark (especially in the pictures) but once the weathering is on, this should appear a little more subtle. The metallic tail sections will be polished and buffed up soon, just to give it a little more shine, once all has dried.

• Like 1

Looking good, I always like to see the MB phantom built, it turns into a good model. If you have any Fujimi Kits then pinch the open canopies of them and use them on the MB phantom in the open position. As others have said, even if using the MB canopies post them open as they look to shallow.

This was my last MB pahntom, turned out quite well,

43Sqn2.jpg

Keep up the good work

Julien

Thanks Bex! I'm not sure what I think to it so far, it looks quite plain in a way. I think I've done alright building and painting it so far, so hopefully it's not just me and it should look a little better after weathering, and having markings on there always helps it not to look too plain!

Nice Phantom there Julien! Which canopies are those - the MB ones or Fujimi? The trouble with posing the canopies open is that the cockpit detail is really rather basic. It would stand up to scrutiny with the canopy closed and pilots in, but that's about it as the ejection seats are not really even remotely similar to the real deal. Why do kit manufacturers bother making a part that's nothing like the real thing, when they would just invest the effort spent on creating a work of fiction in making a decent reproduction of the actual seat?

Dont build the kit, much too rare.

I have a massive Matchbox collection, but NOT that one.

Move away from the model!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opsessed Dave....

I got me one of them from ebuy- tee hee

also got one my bro gave me but that has a 111 sqn based at Leuchars on the box front

so am glad to see the M/box tooms turn out alright! nice work chaps

Dont build the kit, much too rare.

I have a massive Matchbox collection, but NOT that one.

Move away from the model!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opsessed Dave....

I have 2 more in the stash!

Julien

Nice Phantom there Julien! Which canopies are those - the MB ones or Fujimi? The trouble with posing the canopies open is that the cockpit detail is really rather basic.

They are the fujimi ones. I got the aeroclub update set which includes seats, new nozzels and undercarridge its only about £4. with those metal seats in (home made handles) I found it was enough with out going overboard. To be honest the seats draw the eye from the rest of the pit. I think if you put the pilots in on the MB seats and just made a set of ejection handles it would be enough.

Julien

A bit more progress yesterday and today. Yesterday saw the completion of various touch-ups and addition of other metal colours to the tail end. The model then received a couple of coats of Klear:

3200150748_595bfa1fe5_b.jpg

3200150744_7f9ebf39e1_b.jpg

Today I weathered the aircraft with a light wash and a bit of staining, and added the burner cans. I think the weathering looks quite effective, particularly on the underside. The photos don't capture it too well at the moment, possibly because of the gloss finish and the necessity to use flash in my place - once the thing is finished, I'll try and get some natural light pics. I'm also quite pleased with the finish I got on the metallic parts, especially the afterburners - again I'll get some better pictures to show this once the model is done.

3200150752_112010f2f5_b.jpg

3200150750_de8951b63c_b.jpg

I've added the undercarriage tonight, and will do the transfers tomorrow. I'll take some pictures after those are on, then it'll be time for a satin coat and some weapons!

• Like 1

Apologies for the apparent lack of progress these last few days - this is mainly because of a lack of convenient points at which to take pictures. The canopies, undercarriage, decals and fiddly bits are now on and have been for a couple of days. This last couple of days has been spent sanding out a bit of dust from the paintwork, then botching up the re-paint and having to do it again, and then repeating the whole botch-up process through carelesness... :suicide:

Well, it's finally come out OK, so just a satin coat and the thing is finished - consequently, I won't bother taking pictures of it until this is done because there isn't much to see now that you won't be able to guess at when it's done, and that way it avoids me taking up space on my Flickr account, which will be sorely needed these coming weeks. ;)

At last, she is finished. Now to reward everyone for their patience, here are a few piccies:

3218975056_dc2d8c07ab_b.jpg

3218975104_4a3d28b3d0_b.jpg

3218975046_a5b9a4bb80_b.jpg

3218975038_bf92a18bb9_b.jpg

3218975134_ff8978b416_b.jpg

3218975114_17a59d4b3a_b.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how this came out for an OOB build of such an old kit - the only addition I made was some fuse wire ejection handles. I elected to use the kit's canopies in the end, as when they are on, the aircraft has the correct profile. The problem with the canopies is that the canopy bars are moulded into the fuselage, so if you paint them onto the canopy as well, they look way too shallow. I got around this by not painting the bars onto the canopies - while there are still very finely moulded canopy bars on the transparenceis, this is barely noticeable so I figured I would just leave it be. The transfers actually went on and settled down very nicely, the only issue being the glue was very yellow and required cleaning off the backs of the transfers with a wet brush before applying them, but the transfers themselves are passably white. The roundels are very slightly out of register, and there is a brely noticeable white crescent edge to them - that and the "R" on the fin should be in a narrower font and that's my pleasantly short list of gripes about the transfers - could have been a lot worse considering their age.

Anyway, all told I'm quite pleased with the results for this one, it certainly looks pretty on my shelf. :D

Edited by Davec_24
  • Like 1

Very nice work Dave, especially on an older kit :thumbsup: She looks ready to launch herself off your cardoard 'flight deck' ;)

Now, best get some water ready for Bex before she dehydrates from drooling :tease:

:goodjob:

Thanks! I was considering doing a launch diorama sort of thing, but I don't have any figures for it. Also it would have required some kit surgery to get the intake doors open and all the flaps deployed, something I didn't overly want to do because I wanted it to be OOB "for old times' sake" as they say. I might save the idea for another build though. The cardboard was there to prevent it scuffing, as it's sat on top of a concrete wall there!

Now, best get some water ready for Bex before she dehydrates from drooling :tease:

Too late :analintruder:

Dave,

Shes turned out very nice indeed, I think Im gonna have to work hard on mine :pray:

Bex