Airfix 1:24 Spitfire Vb

Another build complete this one taking 4 months (although I had some big problems with this one). First thing a quote from Michael Caine "Use the difficulty" https://youtu.be/GAB89fOdA-I?si=Zyd-squval1Irham

Never has this been more appropriate for a build. The build itself wasn't too bad.. quite a few fit issues, flash, and not quite as detailed as Id really have liked. So some building up of the cockpit, hiding the engine away (lost of distortion in engine beareers etc.) But considering this is a 1970s moulding it could be worse..

Then comes the BIG issue after an almost perfect brush paint job, gloss varnish then decals the matt vanish goes full on white! Plenty of research and reading later trying to find a solution other then what I already know of spraying some gloss on comes to nothing. A quick spray of gloss only half removes the white (it was only a light matt coat too) and the varnish reacts with the decal fix on the decals and anywhere solution once was, crinkles the decals (2 to falling off the decals had been left for nearly a week before varnish) and I think its ruined and its still white in places!!

Some thinking and bouncing idears off fellow modellers and a brain wave...it looks like frost so lets make it defrosting in the sun, with a canopy cover to drape over the tail or to avoid ruining the canopy if I should decide to refurbish it in the future.

So here is Spitfire Vb 1:24 scale defrosting in the sun and a reminder to me at least to use the difficulty.

lQlZUOL.jpg

CFskxnE.jpg

PfST31T.jpg

y7O4KVG.jpg

ARCw2Sx.jpg

spacer.png

lQlZUOL.jpg

RyiVnak.jpg

DMMGLP7.jpg

pInhp6X.jpg

OZxWT9u.jpg

5mmOcBF.jpg

Y3nmqk8.jpg

9nwA3Ws.jpg

And I still couln't get the cowlings to sit right.

Edited by aerotechi
added pics.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I feel your pain ☹️ however all is not lost , i would start by removing all the decals and clear parts,  then prime the model with grey car primer , rub down with a sanding stick or fine wet and dry paper , then repaint , It may be possible to obtain a replacement decal sheet from Airfix or if the kit is out of production there are other sheets available . After all your hard work its worth saving.  👍