SE5a References

Twobad

I'm in the process of researching the SE5a for a future 1:8 build. I've obtained copies of the Haynes manual, the Windsock Datafile and James McCudden's memoir (which has at least convinced me I don't want to model the aircraft he obtained most of his victories in). I've also been swapping emails with the librarian at the Shuttleworth trust in the hope of securing some of the build photos from the restoration of their  F.904.

Can anyone suggest other technical references for the design? I'm hoping to find something that covers it in fine detail with details about the internal structure especially. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wavanberkel said:

You might want to take a look here:

jamesfaheydotsmugmugdotcomslashse5a

Cheers,

Willem

Ooh! Thanks for that. There are quite a few internal pictures I haven't seen before.

• Like 1

Have a look at the Wingnut Wings web site - the instructions from their SE.5 kit should be there. I don't have the kit, but if the instructions are up to the usual WNW standard there should be some useful information there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, europapete said:

Try contacting the Vintage Aviator Ltd in New Zealand. They build SE5a's. 

I have emailed them, but haven't got a reply yet.

The Air-Britain SE5 File is the bible on the type - it lists every SE5 and SE5a , SE5b etc built with a short potted history of each one. 1/48 plans and pages of colour plates but not much detail stuff.

The RAF Museum "British Military Aircraft of the 1st WW" will give you exact dimensions for all the rigging wires and control cables.

The Albatros Pubs SE5/SE5a Squadrons is also worth having.

The Osprey "Duel" series SE5a vs Albatros D.V gives a good cockpit repro.

Lots of other bits and pieces but if you join the ww1aircraft.com site, the forum there will yield fantastic amounts of photographic detail and expertise.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1