Trying to find a thread about Corsairs and Semi Gloss Dark Sea Blue

David H

37 minutes ago, David H said:

here is Casey's ANA 623 formula.

Do you know which XF-17 you have?  The greeny blue, or the very dark blue version,  AFAIK @Casey  has the recent very dark blue XF-17.

This make a huge difference to the finished mix.

as 

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

almost black deep dirty blue).

a couple of period colour images

note the comparison to the Insignia Blue

787be7a57a3a4146c9b6c1e3e52d8a48.jpg

b4c29348caa76eb947c12e45066e69d2.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Having re-read your earlier comments about the jar sizes, mine is in the small jars so i think its the *better* version.

The colour looks dark, but i haven't examined it yet in daylight.

-d-

Edited by David H

55 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Do you know which XF-17 you have?  The greeny blue, or the very dark blue version,  AFAIK @Casey  has the recent very dark blue XF-17.

This make a huge difference to the finished mix.

as 

a couple of period colour images

note the comparison to the Insignia Blue

787be7a57a3a4146c9b6c1e3e52d8a48.jpg

b4c29348caa76eb947c12e45066e69d2.jpg

Do you have any photos of your test subject??

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Casey said:

@David H

Hard to say without seeing it next to ANA623 but from photo on your Blue Test 040 it looks much closer to what it is in the Elliot book (almost black deep dirty blue).

I like your model!

Thanks Casey,

This is largely a validation/ test for what will probably be El Corsair Grande, Numero Quatro. It all got started while fumbling for a semigloss sea blue that contrasted well enough with the non spec that goes on the wing leading edges of a Birdcage to be painted in the so called "Norfolk Scheme". Then we sort of wandered off the reservation.

One thing that remains unknown, is how the colour looks in daylight; it's rather cloudy here today. My biggest concern being the blue is so dark that there isn't enough contrast, with the adjacent Insignia Blue. Troy is concerned that the "wrong" XF-17 in the 23 ml jars have too much green in it, but you go with what you've got. My jars are the smaller ones so i may have dodged a bullet.

-d-

Edited by David H

8 minutes ago, David H said:

Troy is concerned that the "New and Improved" XF-17 has too much green in it, but you go with what you've got....

The OLD XF-17 is greeny blue, the NEW XF-17 is very dark blue....   

I have no idea when the change was, the old XF-17 is 23ml, and probably 10 years, or more old.  I got it from a shop that was closing,  as well as the X-16 gloss purple,  a post by Mike Starmer on a Humbrol mix for ANA 623 led me to try mixing them, and by eye it looked good.    I found I needed to take the Elliot chips out into bright sunlight to properly see them....   Can be tricky here in 'sunny' England!

Do you have the Elliot book?  Not sure from the thread is all,  but photos of mixes without something to compare too makes it very hard to judge what you are seeing

Sorry for any confusion caused,  there are mixes for Tamiya, often from their instructions that have been about for years,  as well as the confusion over what the Sea Blues look like,    as they are frequently quoted as being the same as FS15042/25042/35042.... 

Hope you find a mix that works for you though which is what matters. 

42 minutes ago, David H said:

Troy is concerned that the "wrong" XF-17 in the 23 ml jars have too much green in it,

The one I have used for the mixes was the very dark blue.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Sorry for any confusion caused,  there are mixes for Tamiya, often from their instructions that have been about for years,  as well as the confusion over what the Sea Blues look like,    as they are frequently quoted as being the same as FS15042/25042/35042.... 

Hope you find a mix that works for you though which is what matters. 

I don't have a personal copy of the Elliot book but i'm very familiar with it.

One thing i *do* know for sure is that ANA Sea Blues and the later 15042 derivatives are deffo not the same thing and that's a widely held misconception i'm trying to clear up.

• Like 1