Swiss Packard

DeGoey

Does anybody know if the Swiss fellow who was on Scale Motor Cars detailing his Packard scratch-build has carried it over to somewhere else now that the site is dead? It was truly magnificent, especially the saga involving moulding it's tyres

Was not aware that the Scale Motorcars site had gone. I was under the impression that their site was being overhauled, and it would be a great  pity it it has gone altogether. It tended to be more of a site for scratch builders and larger scale super detailed model car builders and therefore a wealth of information on that particular side of the hobby.

I too can remember the Swiss scratch builder making that Packard.

If you are into the sort of thing that he and other scratch builders on that site were doing it might be well worth your while seeking out two out of print books by the late Gerald A Wingrove. The Complete Car Modeller books 1 and 2. Definitely get book no 1 as it describes his techniques generally on different models including how to mould tyres.  Book no 2 concentrates on his build of the Weinberger Bugatti Type 41 Royale.

Hope this helps in the absence of the  Scale Motorcars website. I see you are in Oz so EBay might be your best bet or scour second hand transport book sellers over here in the UK for those books.

Edited by Noel Smith

There is this message at the moment from site:

SMC is temporarily closed until I can find a solution for the constant DDOS attacks. The site needs to move to a different host but its not something I can afford right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Read that same message on their site this morning.

Hope they can get their problem sorted out.

It would be a great pity it the site is lost forever.

Lots of advanced larger scale auto modelling stuff on it.

Edited by Noel Smith

On 25/02/2024 at 19:50, Noel Smith said:

If you are into the sort of thing that he and other scratch builders on that site were doing it might be well worth your while seeking out two out of print books by the late Gerald A Wingrove. The Complete Car Modeller books 1 and 2. Definitely get book no 1 as it describes his techniques generally on different models including how to mould tyres.  Book no 2 concentrates on his build of the Weinberger Bugatti Type 41 Royale.

Thanks Noel. I had volume 1 but when I moved house a few years back , got rid of 80% of my motor books and it was one. Like for others, he along with the late Pere Tarrago, was a great inspiration.